Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 2nd, 2014 12:00

New Dell PowerEdge T320 Constant Hard Drive Access

Greetings, We have a brand new T320, that constantly access the hard drives (RAID 5). I checked Server Management and there are no errors, everything is "READY". PERC S110, RAID 5, SATA The hard drive access is very methodical, a definite rhythm, like it is indexing or running a scan. Server is up to date with MS patches No other software is installed (except DSET, but it was happening before that) I have let the server run for 48 hours and it continues the same behavior. Any suggestions to resolve are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• 

6.2K Posts

March 2nd, 2014 14:00

Hello

This is a feature that is similar to patrol read on our hardware RAID controllers. This is not something you can enable or disable, but it is working as intended. You can read more on Background Array Scan here:

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/an/en/andhs1/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=an&l=en&s=dhs&docid=615914

Thanks

4 Posts

May 1st, 2014 21:00

I think my T320 might be doing the same thing.  Would you allow me to email you a .WAV file so you could hear what mine is doing and see if it is the same.

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

September 27th, 2014 16:00

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

http://www.xbyte.com/Dell-PowerEdge-T320-RAID-Controllers.aspx

7 Posts

This can be caused by having 2 virtual discs on a RAID 5 set.  I have one that came from the factory that way (I did not order it).  Dell tech support told me this is not a supported configuration.  Hmmm....

The S110 is not good at RAID 5 (or anything else).  I suggest you backup, reconfigure to RAID 10, and restore.  Better yet, get an H310 or H710 to replace it.  

Hope this helps.

7 Posts

theflash1932 - Thanks for the "Flash" reply. 

Do you know the part # for an H710 Integrated card and cable for the PE T320?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

This can be caused by having 2 virtual discs on a RAID 5 set.  I have one that came from the factory that way (I did not order it).  Dell tech support told me this is not a supported configuration.  Hmmm....

It is supported but not recommended.  It will come this way from the factory if you order a system with a boot disk larger than 2TB without specifying UEFI as the boot mode.

The S110 is not good at RAID 5 (or anything else).  I suggest you backup, reconfigure to RAID 10, and restore.  Better yet, get an H310 or H710 to replace it.  

I second this.  Skip the S-series (and the  H310) and get an H710.  You'll never be sorry for the extra $100 spent on a good controller, no matter what you are using it for.

No Events found!