yanivhs
1 Nickel

RE: Non certified drives throwing Faults

Jump to solution

Hello

Does anyone uses the Intel 530 without warnings?

I have a R620 server with two Intel 530 drives ( http://ark.intel.com/products/75331/Intel-SSD-530-Series-240GB-2_5in-SATA-6Gbs-20nm-MLC)

and both of them show warnings for ucertified drive.

any suggestions?

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

No matter what you do, they will always be uncertified ... there isn't anything you can do about that. You will have to choose between the warnings and the drives - keep the drives and live with the warnings or get rid of the warnings by getting certified drives.

0 Kudos
yanivhs
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Just excellent...

and to think that Dell certified drives are manufactured by Intel...

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Obviously Dell doesn't make their own drives. ALL certified drives are made by major disk manufacturers - Seagate, WD, Toshiba, maybe even Intel. Certified drives have been loaded at the manufacturer with a specific certified firmware that will work with specific controllers. The drive may physically be identical to a generic/retail version of the same drive. Generic/retail settings in drive firmware is often not adequate and the need exists to tweak them to certain specifications.

0 Kudos
kathirvel1980
1 Copper

Jump to solution
ID 0:1:0
Status OK
Name Physical Disk 0:1:0
State Online
Power Status Spun Up
Bus Protocol SAS
Media HDD
Failure Predicted No
Revision ES66
T10 PI Capable No
Certified Yes
Capacity 278.88GB
Used RAID Disk Space 278.88GB
Available RAID Disk Space 0.00GB
Hot Spare No
Vendor ID DELL(tm)
Product ID ST3300657SS
Serial No. 6SJ7Z4GE
Part Number CN0F617N7262242P00KTA03
Negotiated Speed 6.00 Gbps
Capable Speed 6.00 Gbps
Sector Size 512B
Manufacture Day 04
Manufacture Week 09
Manufacture Year 2014
SAS Address 5000C50071FF6E6D

ID 0:1:1
Status Non-Critical
Name Physical Disk 0:1:1
State Online
Power Status Spun Up
Bus Protocol SAS
Media HDD
Failure Predicted Yes
Revision VT31
T10 PI Capable No
Certified Yes
Capacity 278.88GB
Used RAID Disk Space 278.88GB
Available RAID Disk Space 0.00GB
Hot Spare No
Vendor ID DELL(tm)
Product ID ST300MP0005
Serial No. S7K1DY6V
Part Number CN07FJW47262268500E6A00
Negotiated Speed 6.00 Gbps
Capable Speed 6.00 Gbps
Sector Size 512B
Manufacture Day 07
Manufacture Week 31
Manufacture Year 2016
SAS Address 5000C500982B5651

0 Kudos
grayloon
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Is the drive firmware part of the drive itself or the attached circuit board? I ask because I replaced an original drive with the same model from Seagate - it's just not Dell branded or certified. Can I take the circuit board from the original drive and swap it to the new drive to make it "certified"? By the way, I replaced the original drive because the server indicated it was failing. I assume this is the physical mechanism and not the circuit board.

0 Kudos
Joe of Hays
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Update as of 17 Feb 17 this is still a problem and current firmware and drivers for the perc700 does not and has not lifted the block and this is still a major problem. We have 3 servers with this current problem R510, R520, R710. We bought them all with 5 year warranties and of coarse shortly after they come off warranty the drives start to fail. Even if Dell had drives for these older servers now they would cost a fortune so we go to Amazon our favorite friend. Anyways if anyone comes across a real solution to fix this besides changing drives or scrapping the servers we would still like to know. We run about a hundred Dell servers and there is little help from any of our sales reps or Dell for this. I suggest we all start looking for other brands for future buys. We are a school district and money is hard to come by so we run servers on average 8 years and they should be fine except for hard drive replacements. It seems Dell does this to force you into buying new servers every 5 years or so great if you can pass the cost along but for us it means higher property taxes to the community or a bond.

0 Kudos
Trickery
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

We moved to Intel drives back when this happened and we stopped getting alerts. Maybe you could do the same? I just don't think the PERC really likes consumer level drives.

Filled our R720XD with - Intel DC S3500 Series 2.5" 480GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDSC2BB480G401 - No errors for years now, since I originally posted.

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

There is not a blanket block on non-Dell drives, but they may still be blocked if they are not compatible.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Ashley-H
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Joe,

Hope this is the answer you are looking for.

I have found a way to turn off the warning in Dell OpenManage on versions above 8.5.0

Check out my blog :-

toughtechsite.wordpress.com/.../