Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 23rd, 2010 19:00

Old poweredge 600sc not recognizing New HD

Hey guys,

I am in need of some serious help. We recently got new servers and instead of seeing the old ones being thrown away I wanted to salvage at least one and get it working with a HDD and put  a copy of windows that I owned (I was ordered to physically destroy the one we worked on before) so that I could keep it around or donate it to one of a  bunch of charities I had in my area that wanted some. I thought it may be easy, but now it’s frustrating.

I had an old machine, a compaq, with a 160 GB Seagate IDE HD with XP OEM loaded on it. Before formatting it and all, I wanted to see if the Dell would recognize. And sure enough, nothing is recognized. I switched it from cable select to all the other settings and back, and still nothing. I am unable to flash the bios, for I have no working floppy and I don't think I can flash the bios from a USB.

So, in essence I am at a pure loss of knowledge. What exactly do I need to do to get the PowerEdge to recognize the HD? I am afraid to format the HDD and try to install windows, and find it not being recognized. I was told about needing to maybe change a few settings, but have no idea what and am limited. Also, I placed a new power supply in , since I felt that the old 170 W wasn’t strong enough (it also didn’t work before the PSU switch) and lately it has been beeping twice a little after the bios screen loads and the indication that it failed to see the HD. However, when I go to setup utility it says that there is a “Hard Drive” and it knows that its 160 GB but doesn’t recognize anything beyond that.

Again, I strongly appreciate any assistance with this or refrence to a guide on how to make sure a HDD is going to be recognized.

The service tag is Service tag removed per privacy policy >

Express tag         Express tag removed per privacy policy >

I am not a 100% sure the exact make and model of the motherboard that comes with that series, I got this off of one of the ‘rage’ chips on the MB..its probably worthless…but here it isSWO-SB7445-P02-0351XX206

3 Posts

December 24th, 2010 02:00

Can anyone please offer any suggestions? 

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

January 2nd, 2011 06:00

The only thing that comes to mind is to ensure the harddrive is jumpered for CS (Cable Select) and not Master or Slave. You'd also need a CS-compatible cable (the one that was in the server should be fine).

No Events found!