Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 2nd, 2013 14:00

PE 2950 will not boot OS

Hey Flash - are you out there?  Could really use some help on this similiar post.....help please

June 3rd, 2013 10:00

After you slipstram the RAID driver into the instal cd, you do not hit f6 right?  should load the raid and let you do a repair?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

What's up?  Go ahead and start a new thread for your question.  Link to this thread if you wish.

server 03 R2 x64 - PE2950 perc 5/i...I have the raid driver in the os cd now but it will not boot into recovery console..it keeps telling me setup did not find any hard disk driver installed in your computer.  I can see all the driver from the raid controller.  2 mirror drives for os - 3 data drives (raid 5).  Maybe the os is gone?  if I install on the mirror, if the data is still on the 3 drives, I should be able to get to it/see it right?

thank you for your help

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

What OS/SP?  1900 or a different/similar machine?  PERC 5/i or a different controller?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

June 3rd, 2013 11:00

So, you are trying to do a repair of an already-installed OS?

How did you get the drivers "in the OS CD"?  I would recommend nLiteOS.com ... during the process, choose Multiple Drivers, select ALL that are presented, and then choose TextMode.  Doing this, you do NOT need F6.  If you load the drivers from floppy, then you must use F6, then 'S' to use the driver on the disk if Windows tells you it already has a driver.

Which driver are you using?  Did you run to extract its contents before running nLite or putting on floppy disk?

Yes, if you install on the RAID 1, it will not affect the data on the RAID 5.

June 3rd, 2013 11:00

correct, trying to repair the os.  I did use nLite and the steps you put in, still came back with cannot find any hard disk drives - safe to say the os is gone?  The server crashed and I had to rebuild one drive from the raid and rebuild the mirror.  Was hoping to repair and have it come back up - not looking like the case.

June 3rd, 2013 13:00

I used A07-R211424.  The os is server 2003 r2 x64 enterprise.  I can get into the controller and see the vd setup.  5 disks, 0 and 1 are a mirror (boot) which is vd 12,3,4 are the data, setup in raid 5 as vd 0....the controller is set to boot to vd1.  How do I get a driver installed so that the os can talk to the raid controller?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

June 3rd, 2013 13:00

"safe to say the os is gone"

No, the fact that Windows cannot find any hard drives when booting to RC either means 1) that there is no Virtual Disk (VD/array) configured, or 2) that there is not an appropriate driver to use to talk to the RAID controller.  The message has nothing to do with whether or not there exists a functional OS installed.  If the OS was wiped out, booting to Recovery Console would find disks but would NOT be able to find any installed operating systems to repair.

"The server crashed and I had to rebuild one drive from the raid and rebuild the mirror.  Was hoping to repair and have it come back up - not looking like the case."

How did you go about replacing the failed disk (exact steps)?

Which driver file did you use?

June 3rd, 2013 14:00

forgot a part - the order was reversed - vd 0 was the boot mirror and vd 1 the data drives.  Since I had to recreate the mirror, now the numbers are reversed, would that have anything to do with the controller not being able to see the os?  If I delete vd0 in the controller and recreate as vd1, does anything get lost?

thank you

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

June 3rd, 2013 14:00

That is the right driver file.  What  is your PERC 5 firmware (package version) at?

"the numbers are reversed, would that have anything to do with the controller not being able to see the os"

No, but if you "recreated" the RAID 1, then that would mean your OS is gone.  Why did you "recreate" the RAID 1, and what exactly did you do?

No Events found!