Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 28th, 2009 13:00

PE SC400 - RAID1 Gone, now I have "4" drives, C,D F,G - possible to Rebuild Mirror?

I have an SC400  (new in Oct 2008) that Windows, either by itself or due to a hw issue, broke the mirror.  I now see both disk in the Windows Drive Manager utility.  It's a SAS 5/IR card.

Has anyone seen this and has anyone been able to rebuild the mirror?  I would hope to rebuild it in the pre-windows boot environment and not lose any data. Checkdisk seems to want to run as well.

Here are the event codes:

Events in order of happening: partmgr 31  / volsnap 31 (F: Drive) / ntfs 55

Any thoughts or tips to help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

3 Posts

January 29th, 2009 11:00

I was able to do a re-sync on the array in the SAS's bios.

Ran check disk afterward, all problems filesystem problems are cured, the volume is back to a RAID 1 Mirror.

- Rick

172 Posts

January 28th, 2009 14:00

Back up your data ASAP !!!

Be careful, with a SAS 5/iR, if the mirror is gone and you recreate it again, you WILL lose your data.

You need to check if one of the disks you see is still part of the RAID 1 volume (the pre Windows configuration utility will tell you); if yes, you may be able to incorporate the other drive into the volume and you should not lose any data, I think this is called “synchronization” on the SAS 5/iR configuration utility.

If there is no RAID volume at all you will need to recreate and reinstall everything and/or restore from backup . . .

3 Posts

January 28th, 2009 19:00

Thanks. I'm hoping the Mirror is only in a degraded state and can be rebuilt or repaired without doing a full reformat and reinstall of SBS2003.

What bugs me and my client is that the server is only 3 months old and it doesn't do anything other than serve files for an accounting office.

Has anybody else had this problem with this particular server or card? 

I'll keep you posted after I get through this mess.

- Rick

No Events found!