Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 16th, 2009 06:00

PE1950 with Perc 5i - drive compatibility?

I have a PowerEdge 1950 with a Perc 5i controller, and 2.5" SAS drives. 

I'm looking for maximized storage space, so was looking at SATA drives.  According to the documentation I can find, this should be compatible, but my Dell sales rep is telling me it works with only SAS drives.  Can anyone confirm SATA compatibility?

Seagate makes a 500 GB 2.5" SATA drive that I was hoping to use.

Thanks!

172 Posts

June 16th, 2009 08:00

PERC 5 and PERC 6 controllers support SATA hard drives.
You should be looking for ‘enterprise’ class SATA hard drives that are built to work 24x7x365 (not all drives are build the same).  The specific drive capacity you need may not be available for the enterprise yet but, there are several other 2.5” SATA drive models for servers on the Dell website . . .

June 16th, 2009 09:00

Actually, the Seagate drive I was looking at is an Enterprise class drive.   It's available in both a SATA version and a SAS version.   Here's the link:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/servers/constellation/constellation/

Is there a difference between the Perc 5i and Perc 5i Integrated?   Just as a test, I took a laptop SATA drive and put in into the server while powered off.  I then booted the machine up, and the controller does not even see the drive.  I also went into Dell Server Administrator, and the Storage tree wasn't even available!   Removing the drive re-enabled the storage tree.   So it would seem that the SATA drive will not work in this server, unless I did something wrong.

Thanks guys.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

June 16th, 2009 09:00

I would agree with grm139 in that you definitely don't want to put laptop drives in a server that's on 24x7x365. On the newer 11th generation servers Dell offers enterprise level 2.5" drives, and these servers also use the PERC6, so except for carrier compatibility (someone posted elsewhere about some compatibility, but I don't remember if that was 2.5" or 3.5" drives) between 11th gen and pre-11th gen.

No Events found!