Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2009 05:00

PE2650 PERC3/Di: RAID5 doesn't rebuild after disk replacement

PowerEdge 2650, PERC 3/Di controller, firmware 2.8-1 (Bld 6098), driver 2.8.0.6076.

RAID5 with 3 harddisks. One harddisk failed and was off-line, replaced harddisk with new one, that came online. But the virtual disk still failed, no rebuild takes place.

Dell Open Manager does not show the taks for the virtual disk that it normally does. It only shows Restore dead segments/Delete/Blink/Unblink, what happened to Reconfigure/Format/Check consistency, Assign/Unassign spare, etc?? Restore Dead Segments does not work, does it need a reboot after the harddisk replacement?

10 Posts

April 7th, 2009 05:00

I tested this on a similar model:

Upgraded firmware to build 7692 and Dell OM software to version 5.5 and rebooted. I could now use Remove dead segments and thereafter Check consistency! The virtual disk on the testbox reports healthy while the check is in progress.

Does this make any sense??

11 Posts

August 10th, 2011 18:00

Long time since this post, but since I just experienced this, I'll post here for the next guy.

I believe this occurs when you _replace_ the failed drive with a new one. It is not picked up as a hot spare and utilized. I could not assign it as a hot spare either, and this was not what I expected. I too had the remove dead segments command, which was confusing because the drive with the dead segments is long gone at that point.

So eventually I decided that the controller is still retaining the config on the old drive, even though I've pulled it. And until I say, It's OK to forget that, it will not start the rebuild. As soon as I did Remove Dead Segments, the replacement drive came on line and started regenerating. I think the answer is to put the replacement drive into a new slot, or in my case a spare SATA connector, configure it as a hot spare, though if you are using all the connectors you will have to do it by pulling the failed drive anyway.

This was my experience with the SATA 1.5/6 ch, FWIW.

No Events found!