Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2009 19:00

PERC 2/QC SCSI RAID Controller

I recently got a Dell PERC 2/QC SCSI RAID controller and a Compaq Proliant enclosure of the same approximate age but am having constant issues. They are both in an average desktop machine, a Compaq P3 with Windows XP 32-bit. First it was a matter of finding the correct cable/terminator configuration, which I am still not really sure of. Now that I've got the two drives to come up in the array manager, it won't let me access them or configure the array. At first I could see them and couldn't do anything but format or check them for errors. Then I could initialize them but I've never been able to actually configure them in a RAID. Sometimes it will say 'offline' and other times it will say 'degraded', but even when neither of those are coming up every time I try to create a virtual disk or volume it says 'operation failed'. Sometimes it even says this when I try to initialize or blink the disks. It's driving me mad, that the issues are never consistent. I can turn on the computer and it will be one thing, then I'll restart and the next will pop up.

If someone could help me out and let me know the correct cable/terminator configuration and whether I need some certain BIOS update to allow my computer to configure the RAID. The firmware on the card is up to date, and I have the OpenManage Array Manager 3.3.1. Is there anything else I need to download? I know these parts work together, and with WinXP because the person whom I got it from said that's what they were using and had no issues whatsoever. The problem is that they haven't used them in years so they can't remember anything that would help.

Does anyone know anything about the PERC 2/QC?

No Responses!
No Events found!