8 Krypton

RE: PERC 5/i question

Jump to solution

The 2950 doesn't have an "iDRAC". There is only one type of DRAC for the 2950, which DOES support virtual media.

0 Kudos
sebna
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Will have to check if this server has it.

In the mean time I just mounted it on my workstation and copied the content to a folder on the server. Did not have a chance to try it yet as I had to leave.

Will it work (file copied out of CD)?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
sebna
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Ok. It seems that SUU will work from HDD no problem but it is not compatible with Core environment... 

Good news is that I have replaced the battery and the error has cleared instantaneously.

Seems that I will continue with my plan without updating the platform.

Once all done and working as expected I will look at migrating to 2012 this server as I soon enough it will come handy to be able to use VHD bigger then 2TB and also I like the way 2012 handles VMs in regards to importing and exporting which is massively flawed in 2008 IMHO. And with 2012 I will be able to use Core for normal running and convert it to full GUI to do SUU and then come back to Core once done.

Is there anything else on the list of Firmwares to be updated other then BIOS, Raid controller and LAN cards?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

The essential updates, in my opinion, would be the BIOS, then Lifecycle Controller, Drac, Raid Controller, Hard drives, and then the LAN cards.  

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
sebna
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Everything worked like a charm other then the fact that the PERC 5/i does not accept 3tb hdds... luckily I had 2tb ones handy.

I also wanted to do all Bios / FW updates but I encountered problems. First of all on the Dell website there is only one FW update available and it is for RAID controller. There is no updates for LAN or Life Cycle controller. There is of course new BIOS.

I did both RAID and BIOS updates from Windows level. They went fine according to Dell messages but after restart during POST there is no change to version of either BIOS or Raid controller FW.

Is it a know problem / situation? Or is it again some complications with Core edition from which I was doing updates?

Thanks for all your help so far. Very valuable.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Sebna,

Sorry about that, I keep falling back to more recent servers. The 2950 doesn't have a Lifecycle Controller, that was released with servers shortly thereafter. 

The Broadcom NIC only has an updated driver, not a firmware update like the Intels. 

Verify that the BIOS and the Drac are now current. If the Drac is still out of date then that is likely why you don't see a change on reboot. The Drac is responsible for HW reporting, so that is why it might be showing incorrectly.

Running the update from the Core environment shouldn't cause any issue. Most of the updates are actually pushed through on the reboot, not within the environment. 

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos