Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2015 16:00

PERC H700 dropping from Eight drives to Four and keeping the other four as cold spares, any special prep needed

I have an R710 which we're repurposing and we ordered it with Eight 500GB 7200 SAS drives, but the new purpose (ESXi virtual host) won't need all eight drives. I'm planning to drop to four drives, (3) in a RAID5 with the fourth being a hot spare. As I don't have an immediate need for the drives elsewhere I plan to leave them in a cabinet for cold spares.

My question is this, other than deleting the config and doing a secure wipe is there anything special I need to do to these disks? Should I label them as Global Hot Spare's in the PD management? 

When I did that and swap the drive out and back in it immediately considers it a Foreign disk.

Thanks for any help :)

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

April 24th, 2015 16:00

Should I label them as Global Hot Spare's in the PD management? 

When I did that and swap the drive out and back in it immediately considers it a Foreign disk.

That's normal. Configure them as a hot-spare and leave them in the system to do their job, or don't assign them as hot-spares and remove them from the chassis altogether. You can't assign a "cold-spare", only a "hot-spare", which actively monitors the array for failure then begins to rebuild if one fails.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

April 25th, 2015 10:00

To add...

Raid 5 with only 3 active member disks has  the lowest  performance, it would be noticeably faster with 4 disks (plus hotspare).

No Events found!