Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

3 Posts

February 18th, 2020 07:00

PERC H710 Mini - Break Mirror/Delete VD

I recently setup a PowerEdge R720xd as a backup server (Windows Server 2016). I am using a PERC H710 Mini to control my raid configuration. I have had 2 drives have "Failure Predicted", one of them was a 232gb OS drive that is in a Raid-1 configuration. The other is a 4TB drive in my Raid-6 configuration. I decided I would just buy two 4TB drives and expand my Raid-6 and just replace the OS drive (232gb).

I have found that I cannot "Reconfigure.." my Raid-6 configuration but I can "Reconfigure.." my Raid-1. After doing some reading online, it turns out I cannot "Reconfigure.." if I have more than one virtual disk? (Per this: https://www.dell.com/community/PowerEdge-HDD-SCSI-RAID/Reconfigure-option-not-there-for-virtual-disks/td-p/4246113

I could be wrong about this but that is what I am seeing.

2020-02-18 10_36_00-Window.png

1. Is this information correct? Can I not expand my Raid-6 in my current configuration? ("sliced" arrays)

2. If that information is correct, could I break my mirror, remove one of my drives. Then delete the VD and use the removed drive to boot the server after? Allowing me to then expand my Raid-6?

Thank you for helping me understand this issue!!

-Michael

• 

8.8K Posts

February 18th, 2020 13:00

GP127001,

I would be happy to answer your questions. 

That isn't correct, the article you reference is referring to expanding a Virtual disk on a split virtual disk (multiple Virtual Disks on same Physical Disks). You will be able to reconfigure the secondary Virtual Disk, but only when it is in an Optimal/Ready state. So the reason the Reconfigure isn't available is due to the Raid 6 showing as Degraded, once that is corrected you shouldn't have an issue expanding the Raid 6 Virtual Disk. 

Also on a side note. With a Predicted Failure, if it is in an Online state, it MUST be forced offline before replacing the drive. Not doing so can cause the predicted failure to transfer across the virtual disk and can also cause a puncture to the Virtual Disk itself. 

Let me know if this helps.

3 Posts

February 18th, 2020 13:00

I actually pulled the drive out before taking it offline and replaced the drive with a new one. It is now showing in a ready state but does not show as part of the virtual disk. Should I just blow out my VD and start over? I wouldn't want to find out there was a disk issue when attempting to restore something from the server... 

Thank you for your knowledge!

• 

8.8K Posts

February 20th, 2020 04:00

Do you have a backup of the data already, if not i would consider getting one before doing anything with the raid? In regards to the drive, you want to assign the replacement drive as a hotspare, it should start rebuilding to the Virtual Disk. If it is showing as a predicted failure after the rebuild then run a consistency check. 

3 Posts

February 20th, 2020 12:00

Hello Chris,

I have not really put much data on the drives yet. The replacement drives that I have are not showing up when attempting to assign as a Dedicated Hot Spare.

2020-02-20 15_18_04-svr-veeam - Remote Desktop Connection.pngI have tried cleaning the drives with diskpart and tried assigning it through the BIOS. The disks show in a "Ready" state. 

2020-02-20 15_20_18-svr-veeam - Remote Desktop Connection.pngThe old drive does not show up in the VD anymore either. 

I am not sure why they do not show up as available for the VD hot spare? They are the same size as the other disks in the Raid.

2020-02-20 15_22_33-svr-veeam - Remote Desktop Connection.png2020-02-20 15_22_18-svr-veeam - Remote Desktop Connection.png

Thank you again for your help with this!

-Michael

No Events found!