Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2014 18:00

PERC cards and Power Vault

I have a Dell Power Edge 1950 II running RAID 10 on a PERC 5i.  I want to add a Power Vault 220, so I installed a second PERC 5e. Booted the box and now it is showing a fatal error...any thoughts/ideas would be appreicated!

• 

8.4K Posts

March 27th, 2014 06:00

Mike Presta,

What is the exact error you are receiving? Also, what is the part number and source of the Perc5e? Was it working fine prior to this?

Lastly, what is the version for the BIOS, ESM/Drac, AND Perc controllers? We may need to get the platform current fist.

Let  me know what you find.

March 27th, 2014 18:00

Hello Chris;

Thank you for responding.  Let me start by giving you some paticulars.

As far as I can tell the part number for the PERC is PWB 6119 REVA00 or CN 0XM768-13740-71Q-001E.  Card was purhased on EBAY from a "working server.:

Server BIOS 2.7.0

ESM/DRAC - None installed

PERC 5.2.2-0072, FW 1.03.50.0461, BIOS Ver MT28-9, Cntr Ver 1.04.019A, Boot block R.2.3.12. Current installed card is PERC 5i integrated.

Here's what happened. I installed the card and then booted the system as it was my intention to make sure the order of the cards was correct. When the machine began its power up cycle, the front panel turned amber and read out FATAL ERROR, nothing more. The server seemed to be in somewhat of a panic as the power kept rising and dropping, but was not able to POST.

I removed the card from the PCI slot that I had installed it in and rebooted; everything was back to normal.  I then decided to install the card in the other PCI slot and went through same FATAL error process. Took a look at the logs and I can really see was a "system board intrusion. Intrusion sensor for for system board intrustion was deasserted while system was powered off."

The os on the box is ESXi 5.1 hypervisor ( free version). My gut tells me that either the card is bad or something is missing from a configuration standpoint. Never quite encountered anything like this before. Your input and advise is appreciated.

Mike Prestia

1.2K Posts

March 28th, 2014 04:00

The PV220 is scsi and requires a scsi raid card like a perc4e/DC which is qualified for a 1950

No Events found!