Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 1st, 2017 08:00

PERC driver update required

Hello,

I inherited an R720 with Server 2008 64 bit. Due to a pending ERP upgrade, I need to upgrade the O/S to 2008 R2. When I tried that it said that I need to upgrade the PERC H710 driver first. I don't know which driver it's looking for. I downloaded one from Dell and when I ran it, it said that it's the wrong driver for the O/S. Am I in a Catch-22 here? Any help would be appreciated.

• 

6.2K Posts

August 1st, 2017 10:00

Hello

The native SAS driver in 2008R2 should be sufficient for the H710 to function. If you need to load a driver this is the latest I show:

www.dell.com/support/home/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=CFHFJ

The available drivers can be found on the support page for the server:

www.dell.com/support/home/product-support/product/poweredge-r720/drivers

Thanks

6 Posts

August 1st, 2017 10:00

Hi Daniel, the 2008R2 upgrade says that it needs the H710 driver BEFORE it will even do the upgrade. And as I mentioned, the driver I tried to install said that it required R2 first. Why won't R2 just upgrade and fix everything along the way? I inherited this and it is our ERP server and I don't want to jack around with too many upgrades due to the risks.

• 

6.2K Posts

August 1st, 2017 11:00

Why won't R2 just upgrade and fix everything along the way?

I'm not familiar with the upgrade process for 2008R2. You have the 2008R2 driver that it is requesting.

the driver I tried to install said that it required R2 first.

You can't use the DUP installer to install the driver. It checks to make sure you are using a compatible operating system. You will need to choose extract instead of install. You should then be able to install the driver manually by directing it to the location of the .inf file in the payload folder.

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 1st, 2017 12:00

What version are you currently on? You can try this [latest] update for 2008 x64:

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER02530014M/1/SAS-RAID_Driver_48V2R_WN64_6.803.21.00_A07.EXE

Or you can try the 2008 R2 driver - just extracting them, then right-clicking and installing the INF (or install from that location using Device Manager), rather than using the update package:

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03636177M/1/SAS-RAID_Driver_CFHFJ_WN64_6.805.03.00_A09.EXE

Another possibility is that the FIRMWARE is out of date. What firmware are you at on the H710? Many drivers have minimum firmware requirements. You would want to update the iDRAC/LCC and BIOS first, and make sure the driver is up to date, then update the firmware.

6 Posts

August 1st, 2017 12:00

Please forgive my noob-ness. R2 is not asking for a driver - it simply displays a message that I need the PERC update then quits and leaves me hanging.  I have no idea which one it wants so that I could proceed with the R2 install. This is our live ERP server and I don't want to be futsing around with all of these updates. If something goes south, we are dead in the water. I have backups, but since I'm new here I have no idea how dependable they are.

Also, when I try to update the driver through the manager, it says that I already have the best driver. Driver updates through the manager NEVER work. 

Is there a PERC H710 for 2008 (without the R2)? If not I'm in a Catch-22!

6 Posts

August 1st, 2017 13:00

Thank you all for the replies. This is spiraling out of control. I can't do firmware, driver, O/S, and ERP upgrades to the production ERP server, all in a condensed time frame. One false move and...

• 

6.2K Posts

August 1st, 2017 13:00

R2 is not asking for a driver - it simply displays a message that I need the PERC update then quits and leaves me hanging.

Could you post a screenshot of this message or type the message out exactly as it appears. Also, is this a 2008R2 image that you are running which is asking for this update? Please provide more details on what exactly you are running that is requesting the update and what exactly it is requesting.

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 1st, 2017 14:00

This is spiraling out of control.

Well ...

First, this is all standard maintenance that should have been done over a long period of time leading up to now. 

Second, the firmware and driver updates only take 20-30 seconds, then a reboot (except for maybe the iDRAC firmware, which might take 5-10 minutes) and shouldn't impact your timeline at all. It could also be done in advance of the OS/ERP upgrade (unless you are doing it NOW and don't have time for preliminary discovery/preparations).

What versions are your drivers and your firmware now? BIOS, iDRAC, PERC firmware? PERC driver? Maybe we can give you a better idea what to expect, based on what you are working with.

Alternatives? Build up a 2008 R2 VM and rebuild the ERP server from scratch. P2V conversion to VM that you can then play with/upgrade without worrying about drivers. Delay the ERP upgrade. I'm not sure you have many good alternatives.

6 Posts

August 1st, 2017 14:00

Screenshot is below. Yes, I'm using a 2008 R2 image to try to upgrade. It started out normally, but when it displayed the compatibility check results, it said the PERC H710 driver is out of date, with a Close button.

• 

6.2K Posts

August 1st, 2017 15:00

it said the PERC H710 driver is out of date, with a Close button.

It also has a Load Driver link, not just a close button. It is trying to make sure it has the proper drivers for the OS to boot up after the upgrade. It doesn't think it has the proper driver for the PERC to function, so it is asking you to load one.

You should be able to follow the instructions on that page and click the Load Driver link and direct it to the .inf file I instructed you to extract out earlier. What happens when you do that?

6 Posts

August 1st, 2017 15:00

I know this is routine maintanace- I just started here. The old IT person has been gone for 5 months before they hired me. Your last point is exactly what I was thinking. Have a separate server to do the testing and move to that as production when ready. I think going back and forth between machines when upgrading ERPs is best. Thanks everyone.

No Events found!