Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2016 09:00

POWEREDGE 840 Raid data recover

Hello everyone, 

I have a customer that have an outdated PowerEdge 840 with a Dell Sata Raid controller and I need to recover the data from its disks.

Yesterday I shutdown the server without any issue. 

Today the Server won't power up and I suspect that something fried its motherboard. 

I suppose its raid volume is still valid, but i'm not sure how to recover them.

Is there any easy way to recover its data using another server?

Thanks to anyone willing to lend me an hand

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 2nd, 2016 12:00

The card may not boot up in just any computer, but if it does, you could in theory, connect the card/drives to any server/computer with an OS already on it and recover the data.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 2nd, 2016 12:00

Hello.

What happens when you push the power button? Try disconnecting the power cables and then press and hold the power button for about 15 seconds. Reconnect the power and boot.

November 3rd, 2016 01:00

When I press the power button the system power led blink green and the system status led blink amber.

Nothing else.

Edit:

After some tinkering I noticed that after powerup there are some indicator codes on server, briefly, before reaching the power green system status amber situation mention above.

The codes are: A green, all others amber (no memory detected?) followed by B amber all others green (M/B failure?).

My only option  now is replacing the motherboard?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 7th, 2016 07:00

Yes, it may be an option. You may first try Theflash1932's option to recover you data only if the card is bootable.

Edit:

Before any other options, bring the system to minimum to POST configuration with the following components:

• System board
  • Processor
  • One Memory DIMM
  • One Power Supply
  • Control Panel

Ensure keyboard, mouse and other peripherals are disconnected

November 9th, 2016 05:00

OK, motherboard is not working. 

Can't even boot to POST or to anything. 

I've got a replacement motherboard, any suggestion on how to boot this server using the controller board and its disk whitout risking to delete or damaging  the raid array?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 10th, 2016 08:00

The RAID array information is stored in the controller and in the hard drives. The likelihood of data loos is minimal. Do a normal boot and see whether you are able to access the data and RAID information. Keep us in the loop with any results.

No Events found!