Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 4th, 2013 06:00

Perc 5/i Question?

I have a Dell PowerEdge 1900 with a perc 5/i controller. I have a issue and need to change one of the drives but the drive has not failed. Please dont laugh about the Raid its 5

When I pull up the event viewer for the error it tells me disk 0.2 so when I look at the properties under the dell open manager under information configuration I see this

Physical disk 0.0

physical disk 0.1

physical disk 0.2

physical disk 0.3

How do i identify the disk to change out when I open the box to do this?

They are not hot spares.

Thanks in advance

990 Posts

January 4th, 2013 07:00

Good morning..

The drives are marked on the side of the drive cage, starting with drive 0 at the top and going down.  Here is a link to the manual:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pe1900/en/hom/pdf/hom.zip   page 59 and following will show you how to remove the drive cage and hard drive.

Regards,

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 4th, 2013 09:00

The forums don't like FTP links and it shortens links, so you can't even read it to copy/paste, so here are the HTTP links:
Driver:
http://ftp.dell.com/sas-RAID/RAID_DRVR_WIN_R211422.EXE

Firmware:
http://ftp.dell.com/sas-RAID/RAID_FRMW_WIN_R189337.EXE

It is recommended on servers to keep the firmware and drivers up to date, as the newer versions address known issues and can correct them before they become YOUR issues.  Before updating the PERC, I would recommend making sure your BIOS and ESM are up to date.

Updating OMSA will ensure that it is getting the most accurate information from the [updated] devices in your system.

It will let you select more than one post as the answer.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 4th, 2013 18:00

If the drive has a foreign configuration, you can do NOTHING with it until you have told the controller what to do with the foreign configuration.  In this case, you need to clear the foreign configuration.  This is done in OMSA, Storage, PERC, Information/Configuration (link at top of page), then foreign/clear from the dropdown menu of Available Tasks for the controller.

Once the foreign configuration has been cleared (or if it already is), the drive will show as Ready.  You cannot "rebuild" a ready drive.  You can only rebuild a failed drive or a hot spare.  In this case, you must assign the disk as a hot-spare (global or dedicated makes no difference), at which point, the rebuild will begin.  

Clear in the Physical Disks dropdown menu for that disk is not the same thing as clearing the foreign config - that clear will not affect the foreign config.

13 Posts

January 4th, 2013 07:00

Geoff thanks so much for you time and help...do I really have to go through all this to change the drive?

I cant just  blink the drive and find out which one it is ?? I have open manage 5.5. but I cant even find the blink option it doesnt show up in the available task drop downs?

Only options I have are available task and offline?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 4th, 2013 08:00

Why would anyone laugh about your RAID 5?  RAID 5 is a perfectly legitimate RAID implementation and has its time and place.  You didn't tell us what the server is for, so we can't judge your choice of RAID 5.

If your drives are not hot-swap (accessible from the outside of the system), blinking will do no good - there are no LED's on cabled hard drives.  It's not that hard ... just find drive marked 2, then replace it.  Use OMSA to "offline" the drive before you remove it (since you said it was not yet failed).

The fix?  Order a system with hot-swap drives next time, then you can look right next to the drive for the drive letter (or blink it), AND you don't have to open the system to try to figure out which cabled drive it is.

13 Posts

January 4th, 2013 08:00

Flash1932,

Thanks so much for your response I will try what you said your sure there are leds on cabled hard drives? Also do you agree with what geoff said in the article he gave me as to also find out which drive it is?

13 Posts

Okay Flash1932 and Geoff you guy are great on last thing the firmware on this is version 5.2 1-0067 and driver is 2.23 0032 also the open manager is 5.5 can i upgrade these ?

Do you recommend doing this?

if so how to do it the best way?

13 Posts

So how do i post that both of you provided the best answer....GREATLY Appreciated

sorry Geoff the links don t work do they only work with IE i use chrome?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

Sorry ... I corrected it ... should have read "there are NO LED's on cabled hard drives" (which is why it does no good to blink them).

I don't have a 1900, so I can't say for sure.  If all that stuff is in the way of the drives, then by all means, remove them first.  If you can get the drives in/out without removing the other stuff, then go for it, but I think you will find the fan bracket and other internal parts stand in the way of removing the drive.  The cables also should be labeled as to which one is which.

990 Posts

Here are the links to update the firmware; you can do it in Windows:

Windows 2003:

Driver: ftp.us.dell.com/.../RAID_DRVR_WIN_R211422.EXE

Version:

2.24.0.32, A07

Firmware: ftp.us.dell.com/.../RAID_FRMW_WIN_R189337.EXE

Version:

5.2.2-0072, A09

13 Posts

January 4th, 2013 16:00

If the flash1932 is out there you told me up in your post to take the drive in question offline I did that but when I booted back up and came backup to the dell open manage to put the new drive back online alls it gave me was make global hot spare or clear? '

Why didnt it just rebuild the raid?

Do I do the clear first or then it will rebuild?

thanks

13 Posts

January 5th, 2013 08:00

Thanks again man....this makes sense. I appreciate you .:emotion-2:

No Events found!