Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 25th, 2015 17:00

Perc 5/i, all drives in array blinking amber. Server won't boot to OS.

In a PowerEdge 2900, Perc 5/i.  Two arrays, a 4 HDD RAID 5 and a 2 HDD RAID1.  RAID 1 is fine.

RAID 5 array, a single disk was showing amber.  We replaced the drive with a seagate, same model as the rest in the array.  Array rebuilt, things were working fine.  Fast forward approximately 10 days, another drive in the RAID 5 array shows amber.  We ordered another seagate and replaced.  In the process of rebuilding the array, we lost had another go amber.  The config utility reported the array as failed.  Restarted the server, and the controller reported "foreign config".  Imported the config, and the array came back online.  However now all four drives in the array are blinking amber.  Can not boot in to the OS, nor even boot to Windows install CD.

• 

8.4K Posts

August 26th, 2015 06:00

FX_ATL,

First let me start with this. If you don't have a good backup of the data on the server, you may want to stop here to preserve the most data for a data recovery group. As there is a chance of data loss. If you do have a back up, or just wish to proceed then you can access the controller on bootup (Ctrl-R), then hit Ctrl-N to go to the Physical Disk page, what does each individual drive status show as? Let me know that, as well as the order in which they failed, if known. 

Let me know.

2 Posts

August 26th, 2015 07:00

Thanks Chris.

The silver lining is that we do have good backups of the data.  I've actually already tried rebuilding the array from scratch.  When I first boot in to the configuration utility the SMART status indicates no errors.  Somewhere between 3-5 minutes after boot, all drives start blinking amber, and the SMART status indicates Error.

Three of these drives are brand new, and somehow they are all now showing error state.

• 

8.4K Posts

September 3rd, 2015 14:00

Are the 3 new drives showing as failed, foreign? What error is indicated?

No Events found!