Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2014 09:00

Perc 6i and C1100

So I purchased a refurbished C1100 (4 drive bays) for home use. I purchased 4 SAS drives (2TB)at the same time, I installed them but they were not discovered in bios. I contacted dell and was told to purchase a PERC 6i, I did.  I cannot find a manual on how to install this card anywhere, the information that came with the card said to look in the C1100 manual, but it is not in there either.  

I can see the main card inserts into the riser, and the batter is pretty self explanatory. but it came with a bunch of other cables that I do not see how they connect. Specifically from the PERC card to the hard drives.  Any help is appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

May 10th, 2014 09:00

What kind of cable(s) do you have?

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

May 10th, 2014 10:00

Look on Ebay, not sure this will help but there are many images to see cable connections.....

search for Dell  perc 6i    or perc 6/I 

perc 6i cable    or perc 6/I cable

According to the c1100 manual, page 119, a 4 slot backplane would need something like this fan out cable, at least for the drive cable part ....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-PERC-6ir-6-iR-YK838-SATA2-SAS-RAID-CONTROLLER-WITH-SATA-FANOUT-CABLE-/301150271910?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_InterfaceCards&hash=item461df479a6

3 Posts

May 12th, 2014 08:00

I purchased the unit directly from Dell who told me I did not need any other cables, I specifically asked.  However the cables it came with seem to be for a system that has the drives "stacked" or bookshelved as the power connector cables are very short. Also the cable will require the disconnection of the current board that the drives plug into.  There is an additional cable that plugs into the controller, and the other end has a connector that looks like just a circuit board with a few traces on it, but it is not long enough to reach the drive area.  

3 Posts

May 12th, 2014 09:00

I purchased this from Dell

342-0758
PERC 6/i SAS internal RAID adapter for Hot Plug Configuration, PCI-Express, Customer Install
No Events found!