Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 9th, 2013 10:00

PowerEdge 1950SAS/SCSI Pin Question please?

Good day, and sorry to post... I wish once "inside" a thread, they would have a better search but I am in process of purchasing a 1950 PE and I am unsure of a couple of thing after looking here: http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/1950_specs.pdf

1) I have seen (2) Socket types mentioned for the Quad Processors...and not sure which one this uses please?

2) I also wonder if this is 68 pin? As I have (2) Dell Quantum Atlas 73GB 10k U160's and wondering if I could use them in this box please?

Thanks all in advance..

[dislcolure] = Hard Core 1300/600 PE user...getting ready to UPGRADE!! 

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

There are three revisions of the 1950:  I, II, and III.  Each support a different line of CPU's.  If it currently has a 2.0 QC, then it would either be a II (supports 5300-series) or a III (supports 5400-series), so you could go a little faster, if you can find a good enough deal.

Yeah, even your 2850 couldn't have taken the 68-pin drives, and even if it could, it supports U320 (and U160), so you would have been better off getting faster drives anyway.  Just remember, drives on a backplane (hot-swap) are provided power through the backplane, so it will have extra pins for providing power.  68-pin drives must be powered separately from the SCSI interface (molex).

As for your 2000 issue ... I'm afraid 2000 is before my time (I mean, I have used Windows since I was a kid - 3.1 days - but in a professional/support env, I started when XP/2003 was out), so I won't have much insight and have never had a need to use/obtain 2000 media ... sorry.  Hopefully someone can help you with that thread.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

1. The socket is LGA771, but there are specifics you MUST know before upgrading the processors (if that is your plan).  Are you planning to upgrade the processors, or do you have a specific question about them?

2. All drive connections in a 1950 are SAS connections, meaning you can use SAS or SATA drives, NOT SCSI (older servers with SCSI drive backplanes take only 80-pin drives - 68-pin drives are for cabled/non-hotswap drives).  U160's are outdated even for SCSI! :)

16 Posts

Morning Flash and thank you very much for the prompt reply~~

As for processors, yes I have read 2.66 is the max and the box I possibly would be buying is 2.0 quad

Drives [sigh] I just went and bought 2 U160's but only have $32.00 for both shipped into them. And thanks for the 68/80 hot-swap info also. I had a 2850 a couple months ago, which had 2 143's and a 73 in it...that I bought but I never got it fired up...so I just sold it...come to find out someone had pulled the CPU's and one of them never got seated properly.

And, with my ole' 1300 here? I was going to use these 73's for it...but I am battling a serious issue.. I have had Win2k Server in it forever, but I have moved and 400 miles away from my original retail OS for access, and it is in United Van Lines vault storage for now. Long story short is that some time ago, Control Panel in normal mode stopped responding [as well as other things in normal mode] like Install New Hardware "usb" and also Add/Removal of some programs..."Search", Recycle Bin" etc..

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/1466/t/19525693.aspx

I had read this and done it many times with no success.

Any suggestions please?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 25th, 2013 11:00

According to your Original Configuration, you would appear to have a 1950 II:

WY363                                 1                                 ASSEMBLY..., CHASSIS..., 3.5HD, 1U, PE1950, II

You can confirm this in OMSA (System, Main System Chassis, Information, System Revision). 

That would allow you to upgrade to a 5300-series processor.

Your order shows a SAS 5/i, which is a NON-RAID SAS controller.  You "might" be able to use larger than 3TB disks on it, but I would stick to 2TB and/or smaller.  (If you use a larger-than-2TB disk, you cannot use it for your boot disk.)

16 Posts

November 25th, 2013 11:00

Greetings Flash!! And first off, I really want to thank you for replies and support & insight and I am sorry about this reply being late. Daily I have wanted to reply but held off, as I ended up with a mess on the 1300 for awhile with finally deciding to toss in 2003R2. When the time came? Well, the old Python was then not working...Long story short... I was not having fun for a few days...threw me behind in everything.

Past to present =

Below is original config the box I ended up with (and just getting around and opened my early Christmas Present) as I type this and sure don't want to make the same mistake twice....when purchasing drives.

http://www.dell.com/support/my-support/us/en/04/product-support/

In a nutshell, it has (8) x 1 gig ram, 2@XENON DEMPSEY..., 5050, LGA771 presently and drives were removed....and a cost $ 79.36 in the door of eBay

Where I am now, is trying to figure out "generation" so as to know what CPU's and "proper-max" drives...that will work in this...as after reading a few threads, one here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/906/p/19490717/20295985.aspx

It is also based on "controller" also....and here's from original config link...

MY412 1 ASSEMBLY..., CARD (CIRCUIT)..., SAS5I, SERIAL ATTACHED SCSI...

and praying it was never changed or touched....and hoping this is "my bible? Please?

Thanks so much again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

, Jim

No Events found!