Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 19th, 2009 12:00

PowerEdge 2650 Raid battery charge failure

Hi,

I have 2 PE 2650 servers  that are reporting a Raid Battery charge failed message. This message is reported all the time.

Does anybody know the criticallity of this message? ie. is this a message that can be ignored or should the batteries be replaced.

Functionality of the servers seems to not be impacted at least at this point.

Thanks

172 Posts

January 19th, 2009 13:00

The battery should be replaced.
The RAID SCSI controller on your system has a memory module that stages data before it is saved to disk, the intention of this process is to increase performance.  If a power lost occurs before the data is sent to disk the battery will maintain this data in memory, when power is restored the data will be written to disk.  If the battery is bad the data in memory may be lost if the powers goes down. 
This process only applies if your RAID volumes are set to write-back (WB).  If you RAID volumes are set to write-through (WT) the data is directly to disk and a good/bad battery is not that critical.

3 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 20:00

Thank you very much for this information.  This is exactly what I was looking for.

4 Posts

January 17th, 2011 11:00

If I look in OpenManage it shows Write Policy is set to Write Cache Enabled Protected. Is that WB?  I would think so but I want to know for sure.  Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

1.2K Posts

January 18th, 2011 08:00

If you want to replace the battery, here's an example

4 Posts

February 1st, 2011 08:00

It looks like I can change it to "Write Cache Disabled" and then I don't need to worry about the battery. Dell doesn't sell them and I don't see the point of buying a used one.

Can I make this change in OpenManage while the system is running or do I need to do it during a reboot?

Thanks for the help.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

February 1st, 2011 12:00

If you don't mind the performance hit, then just disable it and ignore the message.  You should not need to reboot for it to take effect.

4 Posts

February 1st, 2011 13:00

Thanks!

No Events found!