Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 28th, 2011 19:00

PowerEdge 2650 SCSI/RAID Setup Help

I recently tried to set up an old PowerEdge 2650 that I received about a year ago and I need help getting the hard drives set up using the SCSISelect utility. This is my first time working with a server so I'm not extremely knowledgeable on getting the hard drives set up. The SCSI controller card is an Adaptec AIC-7899. I also believe there's a RAID controller card installed as well. There are four 18gb hard drives installed. In addition to this, I have a solid amber light showing on the front LCD screen, and I'm not sure how to troubleshoot it.

If anyone can shed some light on either these things I would really appreciate it!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

Assuming you want to use the RAID controller, boot to BIOS Setup (F2) and make sure that under Integrated Devices the Embedded RAID is Enabled.

Then boot to CTRL-A for the PERC (Poweredge Expandable Raid Controller) and delete the current RAID container configuration, then create a new RAID container (array).

Once this is complete, you should be able to install your OS.  Keep in mind, you will likely need to load the RAID driver at the appropriate place for the OS that you are installing.  You could, alternatively, use the SBUU (Systems Build and Update Utility) to install the OS, which would bypass the need for RAID configuration in CTRL-A and loading the RAID driver.

The LCD panel will turn to amber when there is an error and it will scroll an error message explaining the reason for the amber light.  What is the error code(s)/message(s) that are scrolling across the panel?  Keep in mind that it will do this if the lid/cover is not on the server, and if set so in the BIOS, it will also do it if the front bezel is removed.

10 Posts

Does it matter what I label the container as? I just want to make sure I don't have problems later with the OS installation. The light issue makes sense, since the front bezel is broken slightly and I took it off.

Thanks for the quick reply.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 28th, 2011 20:00

The name of the container won't matter ... it won't affect your OS installation at all ... it will simply be the name of the "disk" in the OS.

If it is the front bezel that is the problem, you should be able to disable that feature in the BIOS (I think it is under Embedded Remote Access - Bezel Intrusion, or similar).

10 Posts

Thanks, everything's working fine now, except for the light error. I checked the BIOS and bezel intrusion was already disabled. I don't think its a major issue since everything is working fine and there's no error message. I'll just leave it as it is for now.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

If there is a message scrolling on the LCD panel, it can point to what the issue is.  Otherwise, you can check the Hardware Log in OpenManage Server Administrator once your OS is installed to see what the error is.

10 Posts

May 28th, 2011 21:00

Yep that's it, the server came without any power cables so I used one from another computer. Also, I was told one of the power supplies was just a backup, so I only plugged in one.

10 Posts

I checked and there was, I believe the code was E08F1 and the message said something like "Power PS 2" or "Powersupply PS 2". Sorry, I shut down the server for tonight but I'm almost positive that's the code.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

If you only have one of the power supplies plugged in, then it will give an error for no power to the one that isn't plugged in.  If it is plugged in, then it may be bad.  You can try reseating the power supply - you can simply pull it out, wait 10 seconds, then put it back in.

If it isn't plugged in, then you can just pull the unplugged power supply out to keep the error from showing (this will require powering off with everything unplugged when you remove the power supply).

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 28th, 2011 22:00

Yeah ... "redundant" power supplies are typically used to provide power to the server from two different sources - one could be a UPS, etc. - so that if one source of power goes out, the server will stay on and running.  Each PS is active (although there is no "load balancing" going on), so that if either one goes off, the other one is ready to take the load with no interruption.

10 Posts

May 29th, 2011 11:00

Everything's working fine now, thanks.

No Events found!