Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 12th, 2010 20:00

PowerEdge 2900 Perc 5/i - Setup did not find any hard disk drive installed in your computer

I had a failed hard drive in a RAID 5 config in a PowerEdge 2900 and somehow the RAID didn't work and all data was lost. (I suspect someone else tried to "fix it" before I got a chance to look at it). I replaced the hard drive and rebuilt the RAID 5 array (all 3 physical disks found, added them to a virtual disk and selected Raid 5, then initialized) but now when I try to reinstall Windows Server 2003 R2, I get an error stating that Windows "Setup did not find any hard disk drive installed in your computer".

Does this mean I need to load the Perc 5/i drivers? I thought those would have been standard by the time Server 2003 R2 came out. I did not see any Perc 5/i drivers for Server 2003 R2 posted in the drivers and download section for my server's service tag. If it's not referencing that I need to load the Perc 5/i drivers, then what drivers do I need to load? Any ideas?

Note: There is no floppy drive in this server, but I saw a download that allows me to use a USB flash drive, so once I can figure this out, if I do indeed to install the Perc 5/i drivers, I will have to go that route to install them.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 13th, 2010 22:00

SBUU (System Build and Update Utility) is the utility you want to use - the one you downloaded is old (as in the drivers will be a year out of date), but "should" work.  The latest is here:

I would guess something happened during the download or write to the CD.  I'm sorry if this is too basic a question - I just want to check to make sure ... creating a CD/DVD from an ISO file requires special software to properly burn to disc - did you use a software package capable of burning ISO images? 

5 Posts

January 12th, 2010 22:00

Dell has a CD ISO you can download that you boot from before installing the OS.  It will pre-load all the drivers you need then ask you to insert your OS disk for install.  It works like a charm each time....

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 13th, 2010 08:00

PERC 4 drivers were added to the R2 driver pack, but not the PERC 5.  Indeed the drivers need to be loaded, and if you don't have a floppy drive, you can use the USB utility.  The utility is very finicky, so follow the directions closely.  You will install that utility, then download and extract the PERC driver listed below into the driver folder of the USB utility.  Then, when you run the utility to format your flash drive, make sure you DELETE the volume label, or you will likely get an error.  Put your USB key in the server and boot to BIOS - set USB Emulation to Floppy.  Then, boot to your 2003 R2 CD (should be no reason to hit F6 with this method) and you should be able to install at that point.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 13th, 2010 08:00

Here are some other drivers you will likely need after reinstalling:

Chipset:

Video:

Network (whenever loading drivers for Broadcom NIC's, never use Device Manager - always use the installation utility!  Download and run to extract files, then run C:\Broadcom\Driver_Management_Apps_Installer\setup.exe):

5 Posts

January 13th, 2010 19:00

Thank you very much for the input. Is the preferred or easier method to use the CD ISO or the USB boot option? I tried the CD ISO and as soon as it tries to boot from CD, I just get a blinking cursor. Perhaps the ISO is corrupt and I will try to download it again.

5 Posts

January 13th, 2010 21:00

The one I downloaded is here:

Do you happen to know where the most recent one is? There were quite a few ISO's that came up when I searched my service tag under downloads and drivers. So it is likely I selected the wrong one.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 13th, 2010 21:00

It normally is preferred to use it if you have an updated version of it, but as it is a very large download, it is often easier to install from the OS CD.  It is generally preferred for a number of reasons - installing the RAID driver can be difficult if there is no floppy drive, installing Broadcom drivers with Device Manager instead of the utility (or the installation package) can break Windows, you cannot install the Utility Partition without the install utility. 

You guys have mentioned "CD" several times so far ... what CD did you download?  The few most current versions of the utility are in DVD format, which makes me wonder if you downloaded the right ISO (?).

5 Posts

January 14th, 2010 09:00

Thanks for the link. I am downloading the updated ISO now. I will report back once I am able to try that. Yes, I used Roxio and selected the burn image to disc option.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 14th, 2010 10:00

Cool.  Sorry ... asking about the ISO burning software feels like asking "is it plugged in", but there are sooo many people who don't know and simply copy the .ISO file to the disk :)  Let me know how it goes.

5 Posts

January 14th, 2010 20:00

No problem on the ISO burning question and here I am happy to tell you that I have successfully installed the OS on the server. Thanks so much for your help. This post can now be closed.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 14th, 2010 22:00

Awesome ... glad to hear it :)

October 2nd, 2012 02:00

Your answers is actually NOT TRUE.  I went to all of the trouble doing as you suggested, only to find that the SBS 2003 OS was not listed as one of the possible OS choices!  It will NOT work!

October 2nd, 2012 02:00

The link you posted above results in this:

We're sorry...

Details for this driver are currently unavailable. Please try again later.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

October 2nd, 2012 08:00

It is absolutely true and worked for the person who asked the question, which is all that really matters.  If you can't figure it out, ask your own question, and we will help you figure out where you went wrong.

Dell changed the structure of their download site, so that link no longer works.  Here is the new link:

www.dell.com/.../poweredge-2900

A link is not actually necessary ... you can find all the required downloads at support.dell.com.

No Events found!