Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 3rd, 2011 08:00

PowerEdge 2900 -- lower 4 slots unusable...

Hello! I just added 4 big drives to my system -- using all four of the lower "hot-swap" slots. Unfortunately, the system does not see them... They weren't noticed by the OS and the BIOS did not report them upon reboot either... If I swap them with the older drives in the upper row, they are seen -- but the drives, that were forking fine in the upper row, are no longer reported... What do I need to fix/set/enable for the lower row to work? My disk-adapter is identified as: Board Name: SAS5i, Chip Name: C1068. Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

April 3rd, 2011 08:00

If you are using a SAS 5/i - that controller does not support RAID at all and has the same limitations as the SAS 5/iR (below).

If you are using a SAS 5/iR - that controller will do RAID, BUT it is limited to 4 physical drives, as it only has one SAS connector on the controller (each SAS connector supports 4 drives).  If you want to use more than 4 drives on this system, you will have to get a SAS 6/iR or a PERC 5/6 controller.  You would also need to get another SAS cable to go from the controller to the second connector on the backplane.

24 Posts

April 3rd, 2011 09:00

Thanks! Although I don't rely on the hardware RAID (using the ZFS instead), I do want all slots to be "connectable"... I did not realize, the 5/i only connects to 4 drives and that the lower row is completely disconnected in my system :( Thanks for the information...

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

No problem ... good luck.

24 Posts

Oh, BTW, will the drives, at least, be powered, or do I need to hook up the lower row to the power supply too? With something like: http://cgi.ebay.com/POWEREDGE-2950-SAS-BACKPLANE-BOARD-POWER-CABLE-WG805-/360232081202?pt=COMP_EN_Networking_Components&hash=item53df815732

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

The backplane is an important part of the path of power distribution in the 2900, so it is already fully powered.  If you needed to replace the existing power cable, you would get the one in your link, but yours already has it.  The drives just need a data connection.

No Events found!