Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

September 23rd, 2013 13:00

PowerEdge 2900 with raid10- Adding additional drives

I have a Power Edge 2900 with a Perc6i and 6-250gb drives. 1 drive is bad and another is showing in a foreign state. I tried to find replacement drives of the same size and I'm unable to do so. I can find 750gb drives. Will the array rebuild with a larger drive installed?  If I purchase 2 can I use one as a replacement for the bad drive and allocate the other as a hot spare? 

If not can I purchase 2 and create and additional array and virtual disk with the new drives without affecting the original array?

• 

8.8K Posts

September 23rd, 2013 14:00

Boom6666,

The controller can support larger and faster drives, just not smaller and slower. It will see the larger drive and flag it to match the existing drives.

On the foreign drive you need to CLEAR the foreign config via the Perc 6/i BIOS (CTRL R).

Also, you can rebuild and then use the spare as a hotspare. If you like.

Let me know if this helps.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

September 23rd, 2013 19:00

If not can I purchase 2 and create and additional array and virtual disk with the new drives without affecting the original array?

Yes, you can run multiple RAID arrays simultaneously - without one affecting the other(s).

September 24th, 2013 07:00

Once the foreign disk has been cleared and is in the ready state what is the next step? Should I wait to replace the damaged drive before moving on?

No Events found!