Unsolved

SA

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

November 4th, 2019 11:00

PowerEdge 2950 Perc 5/i Raid 1 Replaced Failed Drive

Hi all,

I am currently in a situation where I have to replace a 146 GB 10k SAS Seagate Drive that is showing up as failed in Open Manage Server Administrator.  I have a couple spare drives that should work for this scenario however my question is since the drive shows up as failed, is it safe to unplug the drive caddy, and put the replacement drive caddy in an online state?  Then initiate a rebuild.  Or should I take the bad drive out after I take the server offline and put the new drive again, then run rebuild offline.  The replacement drive is a 146GB Seagate 15K SAS drive, but it should recognize and rebuild fine.  I have looked through the manuals but I am finding conflicting information if I should do this task online or offline.  I plan on running a full backup on the good drive before I do anything.  Any help would be appreciated.  Can I mark this new drive as hot swappable when the system is online, it should initiate the rebuild, right?

I know this is an old system that I should look into upgrading, need to fix this problem first.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

November 4th, 2019 14:00

The failed drive is already offline, so you can safely remove it without further impact to your array. The PERC should automatically begin to rebuild the array, once a suitable replacement drive is installed, however, I would still double check that it is rebuilding after the replacement. You should be able to confirm that from within OpenManage. 

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

November 5th, 2019 04:00

So assuming it recognizes the replacement drive.  I should be able to swap them while the system is online. Just to be safe I am going to run a full backup on that drive, as it is storing our main database.  The Dell Perc 5/i does support Hot Swapping and Hot Spares, but is the Hot Spare something I have to set up for each virtual disk beforehand.  All of my current disks including the failed drive show No next to the hot spares option.  Is the rebuild on the new drive going to drag the server down performance wise? It is running our main database and I don't want it to be basically unusable while it is rebuilding. Thanks

configuration.png

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

November 5th, 2019 06:00

Rebuilding the array will degrade performance. How much so, I can't specifically say. I would expect it to be noticeable, though. 

Global and dedicated hot spare drives can be allocated at any time.

No Events found!