Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 3rd, 2012 09:00

PowerEdge 2950 RAID Failure

I have a Raid 5 array with 8 disk

Two of these have "foreign" status and the OS doesnt boot.

What can I do in order to get my information, there isn't any physical damage as long S as know but I dont know what to do because I not an expert in this issues.

What happen if I retrieve these disk out from the server? I still can access the resto of the data?

If I import the foreign configuration, can I retrieve the data?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

Nobody can guarantee that an Import will work, but your only other option is to call a data recovery service - be prepared to spend upwards of $10,000 for recovery.  Importing the config will NOT damage your ability to recover the data through a data recovery service, but it may save you hours or days of downtime and thousands of dollars.  ALL the import does is tell the controller to use that configuration - it does not erase or overwrite any data on the disks.  If you import and it doesn't work, THEN you can worry about data recovery or restoring from backup (which I'm guessing you don't have).

Which RAID controller are you using?  If a PERC 5, what is the firmware version (on the CTRL MGMT screen in CTRL-R)?

11 Posts

If the controller is damaged (assuming that possibility), how can I know this?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

At this point, as long as you have not done anything you haven't told us, your data is probably just fine.

RAID Overview

A RAID 5 stripes your data across all 8 physical disks. Along with that data, it writes "parity" data across the disks with the actual data so that if one disk ever goes missing, it can use the data and parity to calculate what data is on the missing disk.  This means that in a RAID 5, you can lose ONE disk and still have your data be accessible.  If you lose more than one disk, then your array is OFFLINE, because it no longer has enough data to calculate what is missing.  The RAID configuration is stored on both the controller and the individual disks, so if ever the configuration on a disk differs from what the controller has, that disk is marked as FOREIGN ... and it stays foreign until you tell the controller what to do with it.  

In your case, you need to import the data, which will bring at least one of the two foreign disks online, making your data accessible again (so long as faulty drives or corrupt RAID configurations do not prevent such a course of action from completing successfully).  The two most common reasons for a disk (or multiple disks) to get flagged as foreign it a faulty disk(s) or out of date firmware.

11 Posts

I ask this because I have read some info in the internet, I havent touched anything, and the server is properly protected with UPS.

11 Posts

But my information could be safe? sorry but i dont understand very well how this technology works, the disks that are foreign are the disk 0 (witch is the first one) and disk 8 , there are more important for the array or all the disk has the same priority?

11 Posts

My main fear is not to be able to recover my data, so I really want to avoid doing things that can harm permanetly my information, in this case losing all for trying to import a foreing configuration in a damaged controller , I know that are thousands of scenarios but according you expertice (that looks excellent :)) do yo think is safe doing this?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

"If the controller is damaged (assuming that possibility), how can I know this?"

You can try to run diagnostics on the controller (bootable 32-bit Diagnostics), or you can replace the controller to test.  Although a faulty controller is a possibility, it is FAR LESS LIKELY the cause, and FAR MORE LIKELY caused by a bad physical disk or out of date firmware.

"I ask this because I have read some info in the internet"

This is dangerous, but what have you read (so I can set the record straight)?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

The only way to try to get this back up and running is to IMPORT the Foreign Configuration.  There is a good chance that only one will come back online, so import it, then attempt to boot.  If you can boot, then you will need to test your drives to make sure all are healthy, replacing any that are not, then update all your system firmware (BIOS, ESM, PERC (driver first), and HDD).

11 Posts

December 3rd, 2012 10:00

Degraded, sorry

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

ONLINE = array is online and all disks are online

DEGRADED = array is online, but one disk in RAID 5 is failed (or foreign or missing)

FAILED = array is offline, two or more disks are failed (or foreign or missing)

What OS are you running? Does it boot?

Which disk is currently still missing?  Is it showing as FAILED now?

11 Posts

yes I could!! you are the man!! you save my job hahaha

the disk 5 is missing, althoug the led is green , is not blinking when the information is reading like the others, my priority is backup all right now, an later see what happened.

my OS ins windows server 2005

11 Posts

PERC 5, I just did it, the virtual disk  is Degrades, what thas means?

11 Posts

2003 sorry

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

"my OS ins windows server 2005 "

Glad to hear it.  Is it Server 2003 or 2008?

11 Posts

one last question please ! (abusing of your expertice)

What should i do with the "degraded" status?

No Events found!