Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 7th, 2017 13:00

PowerEdge 2950 Raid 5 expansion fail

I have a PE 2950 running perc 5/i with a Raid 5 array. I had 5 250gb sata drives and wanted to add a 500 gb to the raid. I used the Open Manage software and reconstructed the array adding the 500gb drive. It finished and now the status of the raid is degraded but it still boots fine. The drive that I added is foreign now. 

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 7th, 2017 14:00

Sounds like the new drive is bad. What make/model are you using?

March 7th, 2017 18:00

The 5 Western digital drives are WDC WD2500YS-18SHB1. The drive I tried to add on was a SAMSUNG HN-M500MBB that worked fine on my previous machine and has been formatted. Here's some screen shots of this error.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 7th, 2017 19:00

Yeah, desktop/laptop drives have no place in servers. Don't even try to rebuild the drive - replace it with a drive as close to the others as possible.

March 7th, 2017 20:00

So if i bought the excact same drive and swapped it for the 500gb the array should rebuild itself and change from the degraded state?? The 500gb drive's status is ready like it was reset. But the status of the virtual disk is still degraded. 

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 7th, 2017 21:00

Yes, it will rebuild, and if it doesn't then you assign it as a hot-spare to start the rebuild. You cleared the foreign configuration ... just take the new drive out and throw it away, unless you have an old laptop you could reuse it in.

March 8th, 2017 06:00

Cool, also I ran across this link. This guy had a corrupted array and it looks like he deleted the Virtual drive from the controller. He claimed that deleting the VD wont delete any data but clears the config from the RAID card. Could I delete the Virtual Disk and the rebuild the array with my data intact and walkaway without any issues? I am still ordering a drive today. 

byronwright.blogspot.com/.../recovering-failed-raid-5-array-on-perc.html

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 8th, 2017 08:00

No, don't touch your array until a replacement arrives. If the data is not critical, then go ahead and play with it, but following web articles with sketchy "fixes" that don't even apply to your situation will only end up in data loss. The article is about something completely different. You can't go back now - your only option is to get a real HDD in your array and rebuild. That article advertises some pretty serious flaws in the author's approach to repairing the array(s) and should not be done without knowing exactly why and only in certain situations.

No Events found!