Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2011 11:00

PowerEdge 840 - SAS RAID Controller

Hello,

I have a client who has a PowerEdge 840 server that they want a hardware RAID controller and SAS hard drives added to.  The motherboard does not have support for SAS hard drives and it only supported software RAID.  The server also did not have a drive cage that supported hot swappable hard drives.  So, we purchased a PERC 6/e:

and a PH177 drive cage which also has a SAS backplane. 

The backplane has a SAS connector but the PERC 6/e nor the motherboard have SAS connectors so I have no way to connect data between the cage and the server.

I found the SAS 5/iR:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&sku=341-4341

and that has a SAS connector but from what I can see it is not hardware RAID.

So, my question is, can I use the SAS 5/iR in conjunction with the PERC 6/e so that the PERC can handle the hardware RAID controller functionality?

If not, does anyone have other suggestions?

Thank you.

Paul

2 Posts

And, I just answered my own question.  Both add-on cards are PCI Express so obviously that won't work :)  

Anyone know any other Dell solutions that will fit the bill or third-party controllers that will work well with the PowerEdge 840?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

The SAS 5/iR is hardware RAID, but a low-end controller.

The PERC 5/i is the only other SAS RAID controller supported on the 840.

The PERC 6/E is an EXTERNAL-ONLY RAID controller for connecting to external devices.  A "pass-through" configuration would not work.

No Events found!