Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 5th, 2014 16:00

PowerEdge 860 - PERC RAID Controller Compatibility

I would like to add RAID 1 functionality to a PowerEdge 860 server we have in the office.  I have been unable to determine what is the Dell part number for the RAID Controller for this server.  

Is there a Dell RAID controller with BBU Cache memory that can support the PE860?   Would the PERC 5/i raid controller work?  If so which Dell model number is compatible.  As the PE860 has long since been retired there is nothing from Dell's website.  Looking on the web I have found no less than 6 different Dell part numbers for a PERC 5/i controller.  

Thanks in advance if anyone can be of assistance. 

-Paolo

• 

6.2K Posts

September 5th, 2014 18:00

Hello Paolo

Is there a Dell RAID controller with BBU Cache memory that can support the PE860?

No, the only supported internal RAID controller is the SAS 5/iR. The SAS 5/iR does not have cache. The PERC 5/i is not supported on the 860. The only supported controllers that contain cache are external controllers like the PERC 5/e.

You might be able to get a PERC 5/i to work in the server, but we have not validated it for the 860. There are not multiple versions of the PERC 5/i that were released, so I'm fairly confident that most or all of the part numbers you found will work. Whenever we change anything about a part we will give it a new part number. For instance, if we decide to start using a different anti-static bag to ship the PERC 5/i in then we would give it a new part number.

You can review validated controllers here. The 860 is listed under the legacy tab:

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/04/campaigns/dell-raid-controllers

Thanks

2 Posts

September 8th, 2014 08:00

Thank you for your quick response and clarification for me on all the various model numbers I have seen available for the PERC 5/i, SAS 5/iR, etc.  

I will see if I can get the PERC 5/i working on the 860 but I realize that it's not considered a supported configuration from Dell.  

Thanks again for your help. 

No Events found!