Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

2 Posts

July 17th, 2020 07:00

PowerEdge R430 Virtual Disk Failed : Offline

Hi everyone, 

I need help with some issues I am experiencing. 

As you can see, it is PowerEdge R430 Server, 4x 1TB HDD inside and not working. 

First message after Server rebooting it self was: 

Virtual Drive:(00), Raid10, 1906688MB, Offline - Discard Cache 

With that message I could do anything until I have discarded cache. No F2, F10 - Nothing - he skips everything and jumps there. No reaction what so ever. So, when I did Discard Cache - real problems started. 

After rebooting the server - options such F2 and rest are working but only after this message: 

The Following VDs have missing diska: 00 

If you proceed ( or load config utility ) will be marked OFFLINE and inaccessible. 

SO where ever I search, I am coming to the thing: your HDD is gone. Well, nope - all 4 are working just fine. They are all on, all loading and showing on another servers even desktop machines. But in Config utility - I can see only one ( Disk 3 ) all others are missing. No LED are showinf amber - and if anything, LED's are showing ( blinking ) without order and explanation in user manual. 

So - now, I would kindly ask if it is possible from someone to help me with probable solutions - Since it was Raid 10, and only 4 slots for disks, I did not have Hot Swap disk. 

I am wandering what will happen if I delete Virtual and create new one - will it mess with data on drives? 

Please, help  

Thank you

• 

3.7K Posts

July 17th, 2020 12:00

Hello IvanNovak,

I am sorry to see a failed virtual disk. 

Now obviously all this going on is risky for the data, so if the data is extremely vital or you don't have a backup then another option is to use a data recovery company.

Was anything done before this happened?  Hardware, software, firmware changes?

You can shut down, remove power, and reseat the Hard drives (we will want all drives installed), the Controller and each of the backplane cables both at the backplane and the other end. Look for any damage to cables.

Can you get into the PERC Controller during POST? If so do you see a foreign configuration you can Import?

Do you see each physical drive and status?

If import is not available or unsuccessful, while still in the controller BIOS can you see if?

Does Disk 3 show up if you put it in any other slot?

Do any of the other disk show up if you put them in slot 3?

If you have pictures you can attach it will be helpful also.

Please let me know if this helps.

2 Posts

July 17th, 2020 15:00

Now obviously all this going on is risky for the data, so if the data is extremely vital or you don't have a backup then another option is to use a data recovery company. - Except few servers ( Biostar, OCS, OpenLDAP, AvP servers, Print server, OpenVPN ) no vital data - Just some 2 months of work again  

Was anything done before this happened?  Hardware, software, firmware changes? - Nope, Not a single thing. Just got a call - HEy, vpn is not working. Went there - and then party started 

Can you get into the PERC Controller during POST? If so do you see a foreign configuration you can Import? - It goes directly to PERC R730 MINI BIOS Configuration But from there I can see only Disk0,1,2 - Missing and Disk 3 980GB 

Virtual Disk0: Raid10, RAID10, 1862GB Failed - is only message from System setup of integrated RAID Controller 1. processed.jpegprocessed1.jpeggrafika.jpgBIOS Boot.jpgPerc Build.jpg

Also, graphics started to snap after every 2-3 reboots - as shown on the picture. 

I have inherited this server - and I was told it is RAID 1 - so all good. Now I have realized that they did RAID10 without hot swap HDD. Lovely  

The rest of your recommendations I will try tomorrow and see if it will help somehow ( also will add some pic ). Thank you for your time you spared for me. 

Best, 

• 

3.7K Posts

July 20th, 2020 05:00

Hello IvanNovak,

Thank you for the update. If you are comfortable with your backup status and don't need a data recovery company to try to retrieve the data we can attempt to get the array back online.

You will need to Discard preserved cache to be able to attempt an import. Make sure all drives are seated when you do.

Can make sure all hard drives are seated and  get me new pictures of the VD Mgt, PD Mgt, Ctrl Mgt and Properties in the H730 controller BIOS after preserved cache is discarded?

No Events found!