Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 21st, 2017 12:00

PowerEdge R720 replace SAS hard drive with SATA in RAID 1

Hi,

I am new. I have a R720 with RAID 1 has SAS hard drives (136GB x 2). It is almost full. I ordered 2 new SATA hard drive (1TB x 2) from Dell. With some reasons I can not extend the volume. I plan to clone the old hard drives to the new hard drives then take off the old hard drives and set the new hard drives at boot. Please someone tell me step to step to replace them? Also, for the clone process, what the best software to clone? Does Dell has any clone tool? Is Symantec disaster recovery tool the good choice?

Regards,

Tho.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 21st, 2017 14:00

You can't extend the volume because you can't mix SAS and SATA in the same array.

Use your bare-metal backup software of choice to backup to an external drive, swap disks, create new RAID 1, then restore to the new array.

March 21st, 2017 15:00

Thank you very much.

As the screen shot below. my disk0 is the old one and disk 1 is the new one. Disk 0 contains C drive and 2 other small partitions. I am not sure what is on the 2 small partitions and do I really need them. But if I use disaster recovery disk (Symantec backup exec 2014 tool), after install it will not have the 2 small partitions.

Do I really need them? Or I much use a bare-metal backup software as mention.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 21st, 2017 19:00

The 39MB partition is just a diagnostics partition. You don't need it.

You DO need the 2GB FAT32 partition. You can recreate it, but you will need one to boot when you are done. If your backup software can't back that up, I would recommend using more modern software.

March 24th, 2017 13:00

Thank you very much.

One concern to need to verify before I do it. I know this is going to be a stupid question, but I don't have experient working with RAID and Dell server I have to make clear even it dump.

1/ So, if after I clone everything from the disk0 to disk1, to let the server boots to the new hard disk pair ,should I totally remove the the disk0 pair from controller or just make them off line?

2/ If I have to remove them (software and physical) and if the new disk fail to boot, then I have to put them back and rebuild the array, will the data on them still or gone?

Regards,

Tho.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 24th, 2017 15:00

You can remove the original drives. You can also change the "boot" VD on the CTRL MGMT page in CTRL-R. You can always put the original drives back in if there is a problem. If your new disks don't boot the OS, then boot to the OS installation media and repair the boot files.

No Events found!