Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 17th, 2015 10:00

PowerEdge T110 ii RAID1 Requirements

Hello Everyone!

We have PET 110 ii server with Windows server 2012 Foundation running on it. It presently has one 1TB hard drive. Being completely novice (as collecting answers for someone), could you please help me by answering these few questions:

1) How do I identify if the my server is RAID1 capable?

i.e. where do I search for if it has RAID controller card installed (onboard/external) and the related controlling software?

What in BIOS should I check that tells me if my server is RAID1 configurable?

2) What are the requirements for a RAID1 configuration?

i.e. the another hard drive that is needed, should it be same make and model as currently present? Any recommendations on which are found most compatible for this server.

If RAID controller card and/or driver is not present, which is the recommended one that I need to buy?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

~ D

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 17th, 2015 15:00

Hello.

Normally the T110 servers come embedded with software S100 RAID controller. It can be configured to operate both on RAID and no RAID mode. Check the BIOS under SATA settings to confirm. You need a minimum of 2 hard drives in order to configure RAID 1; so you will need additional hard drive preferably of the similar specification as the 1 TB one. Other recommended controllers are H200 which is hardware controller and S300 which is software controller.

2 Posts

November 18th, 2015 06:00

Thank you Robert for your precise and prompt reply!

I read in one of the threads here, that S100 controller should not be touched so as to avoid performance issues and suggested upgrading to S300 or H200 controllers. What would you suggest, a software upgrade (S300) or a hardware upgrade to H200?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 18th, 2015 10:00

Hello.

I would recommend hardware RAID controller H200. However, it does not support RAID 5 configuration.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 18th, 2015 20:00

You should be avoiding RAID 5 as well. Get the H200 and do RAID 1 or RAID 10.

2 Posts

December 25th, 2019 02:00

how long does it take to initialize a raid 1 config , hours ? days ?

i have 4 * 1 tb disks, i did 1 raid volume and 2 disks as hot spares .

15 Posts

February 23rd, 2021 17:00

HI D_Trylene! Normally PE 110II has an onboard raid controller (perc 100 or perc200). You can toggle between raid - ahci - ata in the bios setting. But don't do this if your hard drive is connected. (If it has data on it) If it's a new installation then it's fine. As per my experience, it needs the same hard disk capacity if you would use the raid functionality especially if you are going to use raid1. Hope this helps.
No Events found!