Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 2nd, 2015 05:00

PowerEdge T300 RAID 1 drive replacement stuck on 'Rebuilding'

Hi All,

I have a T300 with 4x 136GB SAS drives on a SAS 6/ir adapter, 2x in RAID 1 and 2x independent. A while ago one of the disks came up with 'Predicted Failure' so I cleared one of the independent disks and then in OMSA set it as a global hot spare. After a minute or two it's status changed to 'Rebuilding'.

Unfortunately, it's been sat on 'Rebuilding' for about 3 weeks now and I'm a little reluctant to reboot it like I always do once a month. 

Did I miss a step or do something wrong? Do drive rebuilds take this long?

Cheers,

Dan

• 

8.8K Posts

November 2nd, 2015 08:00

Blackseicento,

Normally a rebuild will take up to about 24hrs, depending on the size, to rebuild. With it sitting for 3 weeks it sounds like there is an issue. Now to start, are you using OpenManage Server Administrator to see rebuild progress? If so the drive may have already rebuilt, but OMSA is misreporting it. If you haven't yet, restart OMSA and it's services. After that then restart OMSA and verify if the status still shows rebuilding. If it does, then reboot the server to the raid controller and verify the Virtual Disks status, as well as the physical disk you replaced.

Let me know what you see.

November 3rd, 2015 01:00

Hi Chris,

Restarting the 4 DSM services then running up OMSA did indeed refresh the disks so that RAID 1 is showing both drives as Online.

My Physical disks now look like this:

Can I remove Disk 0.0.1 now? I don't know whether I'm going to replace it or leave it with 3 drives, could I unassign it as a global hot spare and then remove it in OMSA or do I need to force it offline using the controller software at boot time?

• 

8.8K Posts

November 3rd, 2015 04:00

Since the drive is in a Failed State then it is already offline and outside of the Virtual Disk. So you can simply just remove the drive, then insert the replacement. Then from the Physical Disk drop down your screenshot shows, assign the replacement as the new Hotspare, or like you said you can just leave it with no replacement. As the drive is the hotspare and not an active member of a Virtual Disk.

No Events found!