Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 25th, 2013 09:00

PowerEdge T610 Adding another drive to expand R5

I am running a T610 with H710 Controller. Win7 Pro with 1 x 300mb as a R0 VD (boot drive) and 5 x 3tb as R5 VD (data drive). I want to expand the R5 VD so I added another 3tb drive. When I do an cntrl R on bootup, I do not see the extra drive in the config screen. From googling, it seems i needed OMSA 7.3 which i installed. However, I cannot get past the OMSA login screen. Is there any other way to recognize the drive, or alternatively - how do I get past the OMSA login. I have IIS installed and have enabled basic authentication but i still cant get it to run. Eternally grateful for any help :)

990 Posts

November 25th, 2013 12:00

theflash1932 is correct about using OMSA LIVE!  bootable CD to configure your array outside the Ctrl-R bios.  OpenManage doesn't run on Windows 7, only in server operating systems (2008, 2012, Linux, VMWare, etc.)

Also, there are no bios options to configure the RAID. It can only be done in the Ctrl-R option or through OpenManage.  

Regards,

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 25th, 2013 09:00

OMSA is only supported as a local management software on Windows Servers (if you add yourservernameoripaddress:1311 to IE's Intranet Zone, it should attempt to log you in with your current credentials, requires a local or domain account).

I heard Dell was going to add the functionality to the BIOS utility via firmware update.  I don't know for sure if that has been implemented yet or even if the rumor was true, but if it has been added, you would need to make sure your PERC firmware was at the latest (after updating other system firmware). 

If the above is not yet available, the only other option is to use OMSA Live! to initiate the Reconfigure:
http://linux.dell.com/files/openmanage-contributions/omsa-71-live/OMSA71-CentOS6-x86_64-LiveDVD.iso

BTW ... do you have a T610 with an H700 or a T620 with an H710 (or did you upgrade a T610 to an H710 yourself)?

4 Posts

November 25th, 2013 10:00

Thanks for that very prompt reply.

I tried adding the servername:1311 to IE but no success. I can see the IS logo from a remote machine so it is working but doesn't like OMSA for some reason.

I am going to try the other 2 options. Will let you know.

Yes you are right - it is a H700. I have become google-brained after searching for an answer to this problem.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 25th, 2013 10:00

You should not see the IIS logo connecting to servername:1311 from another system (or locally) ... it should give you the same OMSA login (OMSA runs on its own webserver and does not use IIS).

OMSA Live! will be your "for sure" ... I'm unsure if you will have the option in the BIOS utility for the PERC even after updating the firmware (can't hurt to update firmware anyway :)).

Let us know :)

4 Posts

November 25th, 2013 11:00

That's interesting. I thought it used IIS. But maybe that's my clue.

As you say, if i connect to servername i see the IIS logo, but if i connect to servername:1311 I get the OMSA login screen. I have disabled the firewall for testing and have tried every variation I could to login but it always returns "no connection." The strange thing is that at the bottom of the OMSA login is "Manage Web Server" and that part accepts my credentials and logs me in. I can see the logs. So the only difference between the two screens is the Hostname / IP Address field. Am I not putting in that correctly? I have tried servername, servername:1311, 127.0.0.1:1311, localhost:1311 as well as prefixing with http:// and https://. Why would it accept one login and not the other ?

Thanks for your help - appreciate it.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

I can log in just fine remotely using my domain admin account (select domain from computer/domain dropdown, if offered, and do NOT check the Active Directly box).  I think it may simply not work for connecting to the local system for the purposes of managing the system, it being an unsupported OS.

4 Posts

Well that solves that - thank you guys. I have already downloaded OMSA Live and will proceed that way.

Regards

No Events found!