Start a Conversation

Unsolved

DK

2 Posts

January 17th, 2020 07:00

PowerEdge r720 with embedded controller didn't see HDD/SSD drives in backplane

Hello.

I have a PowerEdge 720 server. We purchased it without drives (iSCSI storage is used) and it has no RAID cards, only embedded (ATA/AHCI/SWRAID) controller. Now I need to plug SSD into it to use as host cache.

I tried Kingston DC500M 480Gb SSD (Kingston is ensuring this drive is compatible and should work) but it is not visible in the server's BIOS. I tried all the controller's modes and no result.

After that, I took the DELL KPM5XVUG480G SSD by Toshiba and it also not recognized.

When I am unplugging the drive, iDRACK is alerting about the drive was disconnecting.

I also tried some consumer-level SSDs and HDDs but without any luck.

What can be wrong? The Backplane is not able to work without RAID card? But in which way it sees that drive was unplugged?

On the motherboard near the backplane connector, there is one more connector, smaller - https://i.imgur.com/I4OEdjo.jpg What this connector for?

Thanks!

January 22nd, 2020 01:00

And no answers )
To use the motherboard AHCI/RAID controller (SW RAID) backplane should be connected to the second SAS connector (SFF-8087). In this case, only 4 drive bays will be accessible. You will need internal mini sas to internal mini sas cable (sff-8087 to sff-8087 cable). I was able to get only 50sm cable and plugged it into a B backplane connector (A connector needs 70-80sm cable). Kingston DC500M is now visible. I think other drives also should be visible, even consumer level. I will try and add the info here. The drive light on the backplane is not on.

I left an A backplane connector connected and got an error from iDRAC that the connection to the B connector is broken. Just hide it yet. Will try different combinations (unplugging A, unplugging SAS8 connector) on the other server.

• 

3.1K Posts

January 22nd, 2020 23:00

Hi,

Just for your reference, https://dell.to/37n0847 on the available cables which might be not connected from the backplane to the main board. 

No Events found!