Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 10th, 2014 10:00

Poweredge 2850 - Attempting to install Windows Server 2008 R2 from USB

Hi,

Let me start off with this: I was given this server by a friend, and I figured it would be a great learning experience.

I am attempting to install Windows Server 2008 R2 from a USB drive. I have already formatted the USB drive using diskpart and set up the file system as fat32. Next I went to the Windows site and downloaded Windows Server 2008 R2 which is a NTI .iso file and dragged that into the newly formatted USB drive

On the server I already set 'USB Controller - on with bios support' and changed the hard disk drive sequence to have the 'hard disk-emulated USB flash device' at the very top.

Now on the boot sequence screen, after the Press for BMC setup, it says 'Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart'

What is wrong here? Shouldn't I be seeing a Windows Server set up screen? I'm sure there is something very basic I'm missing, but any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 10th, 2014 15:00

Take the USB out after it reboots the first time :)

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 10th, 2014 10:00

Did you set the partition to Active?

DISKPART

SELECT DISK 1 (if indeed '1')

CLEAN

CREATE PARTITION PRIMART

ACTIVE

FORMAT FS=FAT32 QUICK

ASSIGN

EXIT

Here, you can usually just copy, but it is not as reliable as:

XCOPY M:\*.* /s/e/f U:

(Where M: is your mounted ISO or DVD and U: is your USB drive.)

December 10th, 2014 14:00

Thanks! It seems like using XCOPY did the trick. Now this leads into my next question if you don't mind.

I am able to now boot into Install Windows, and I have placed my driver files on a SEPARATE USB. I am able to browse and locate the driver, and select where I want to install it. Once I enter the next screen Installing Windows screen, all 5 checkmarks load 100%, including 'Completing installation'. Then the server restarts and it will take me through this same entire process again once it loads up.

Is it possible the driver is incorrect?

December 10th, 2014 15:00

Haha! That's too funny. Thanks for all your help I truly do appreciate it!

No Events found!