Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 15th, 2012 10:00

Poweredge 750 - Powers On, HD Status Indicator not lit

Hello - we have a poweredge 750 that the power light blinks green (good), it powers up and before windows begins to load it powers off.  I noticed the hard drive status light does not light up.  Basically at the dell logo it powers off.  Do you think it might be the power supply?  There are two hard drives in it and it was working fine earlier.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

4 Posts

August 15th, 2012 11:00

Hi thanks for writing back. Doesn't seem to be clearing post. All lights are green, no amber. It powers off halfway through the dell logo. F2/F10 go utility is shown for a few seconds then is powers off. It was kind of dusty so we opened it up and used some canned air on it. After that it seems to be having this issue. The psu was making a loud sound before cleaning it. Thanks Bill

• 

8.8K Posts

August 15th, 2012 11:00

Bill,

Are you getting an amber light on the server? If you boot to the raid controller what does the array status, as well as the physical drives status show as?

Or is it powering off before that prompt?

If so then it may not be clearing POST.

4 Posts

August 15th, 2012 12:00

Also when it powers on for about 30 seconds the front led is solid green then blinks when it powers down. On the motherboard there is one solid green led. Thanks

• 

8.8K Posts

August 15th, 2012 15:00

Thank you.

You may need to take the server to minimum hardware configuration. That's removing everything but:

System Board

Processor

Memory - at least 256mb installed in Slot 1-A

Power supplies: 1 @ 280W

Fans: 1 (Processor)

Remove the expansion cards and everything and see if it POST's. If so then add parts back one at a time to see if you can locate failing hardware.

4 Posts

June 6th, 2013 09:00

Hello,

For me it turned out to be the power supply.  You can use a power supply tester / volt meter to see if you are getting the correct current for each pin.  It was tough to get a power supply for these as they are kind of old.

Regards,

Bill Karlis

1 Message

June 6th, 2013 09:00

Same issue here. I took it down to bare minimum but still fails to POST. I even had a spare MOBO I tried.

Tried removing each HD one, then the other. Removed CD.

Wish i had another power supply and/or little controller board (on the front panel for the power button).

Could the fan assembly be an issue (they physically appear to be working fine)? 

I am leaning towards the power supply? 

No Events found!