Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2011 21:00

Poweredge R415 + Adaptec 5405

so i've purchased an adaptec 5405 for my R415... It appears that it will install fine (it fits; the fanout cable is long enough.... However, the only issue i can see is that dell uses a proprietary sata power + data cable; If i take that out, i apparently i have no way to power my drives; I have not found any information  on the 12 pin power adapter from the power supply, nor have i been able to find any kind of connector..

any thoughts? i'd really hate to have to put off deploying this server any more if i can avoid it...

9.3K Posts

January 18th, 2011 08:00

The cable is probably an industry standard SAS+power cable (SFF-8482 (see Wikipedia for a picture).

what type of connector is on your raid controller, and what type of connector are on the 2 ends of the cable? (can see pictures on the linked wiki page to identify the connectors)

4 Posts

January 18th, 2011 10:00

Thanks for the reply

The factory cable is indeed SFF-8482 on the end that connects to the drives, the other side is a 12-pin power connector (pictured in my first post) and "regular" sata data cables that go to the motherboard. (apologies to dell for call that proprietary :D)

The raid controller has a SFF-8087 mini SAS port. The cable i have for the raid controller is a sff-8087 to 4x sata. so at this point i need to fidn a way to power the drives from the 12-pin connector from the power supply while connecting them to the raid controller...I'm checking to see if an sff-8482 to sff-8087 type cable exists now.

4 Posts

January 18th, 2011 10:00

... So it appears that an sff-8087 to sff-8482 cable does indeed exist, but it has molex connectors for power...  i guess  i just need somethign to go from that 12 pin to molex or to sata power

4 Posts

January 19th, 2011 10:00

anyone? Is it possible to get molex or sata power connectors from this 12 pin cable? (pictured on the right..)

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7061/34870151.png

The factory cable is on the left. it's go the SFF-8482 to sata; so i can not use this with the raid controller.

At this point i'm willing to try anything.. if i purchase a PERC 6/I or H700 will i have this same issue of no power being available for the drives?

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

February 2nd, 2011 20:00

I also have an Adaptec 5405 that I put in a Poweredge T310, and I believe it is using the same setup as what you are facing.  What I did, although somewhat ridiculous, is the following:

1) Leave the Dell factory SFF-8482 cables attached the the hard drives (and thus able to receive power from the proprietary Dell cabling)

2) Get a SFF-8087 fanout cable that breaks out the SFF-8087 into four regular SATA connectors

3) Buy four SATA male to male adapters, and bridge the Dell factory SATA cables with the breakout ends.

The SFF-8087 fanout cable I purchased was this: http://www.amazon.com/Adaptec-2236600-R-Internal-Mini-SASX4-SFF-8087/dp/B000GU04X2

And here are the male to male SATA adapters: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270335

It works well enough except for the fact that Dell is notorious for managing to create motherboard BIOSes that don't work well with a lot of third party RAID cards (probably something to do with option ROM space), and they take out all of the tweakability that most normal BIOS configuration utilities allow.  I've managed to get it working with my T310 except that the BIOS doesn't detect the controller 2 out of every 3 times the system boots up.  Once it does recognize it then it seems rock solid until the next reboot is necessary.  Hopefully you won't have any issues, but I'm most likely going to be moving to an SSD for the boot volume which will hopefully eliminate any issues related to BIOS option ROM loading failures.

No Events found!