Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2015 05:00

Poweredge T110 II SAS disk FW upgrade

Hello,

I have installed 3 disks to a T110 II. SAS controller is a PERC H200, no RAID set up yet.

All the disks are the same (Seagate ST2000NM0023). However two of them are DELL branded, the third one is Seagate branded.

I would like to upgrade their firmware (and it would be great if I could convert the third one to a Dell one but I guess it would be difficult). Anyway:

1. I run Nautilus (downloaded using my service tag) but I see no disks at all (I don't see not even the Dell branded). What am I doing wrong?

2. Dell OpenManage gives me a warning for the third disk (I guess because it is not branded). Will this cause me trouble?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 23rd, 2015 11:00

Fesarlis,

The PERC H200 acts as an interface between the hard drives (storage) and the Operating System. Set up RAID so as for OS to have a logical view of the drives and attempt firmware update again.

I am not so sure, but most likely the firmware update will be applicable to only the Dell branded drives. I recommend that you use only Dell certified drives in your array for smoother operations.

What warning are you getting from OMSA? It could be related to unsupported state.

12 Posts

June 24th, 2015 01:00

This doesn't work. Please note that the Nautilus software I used is the UEFI version and it runs via a bootable USB stick.

Generally speaking, I don't get it. It seems to me that there is no chance that a SAS drive would be directly connected to a server without a RAID controller. I never had upgrade issues with Dell in the past. I would really expect the simple task of upgrading a disk's firmware to be easier.

No Events found!