Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2011 08:00

Poweredge T110 and 3TB SATA disk support

I have just bought a shiny new Poweredge T110 server, running Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation 64-bit. I am trying to add a 3 Terabyte Hitachi Deskstar disk (H3D30006472S) as a data disk (not a boot disk).

The disk is connected to the built-in SATA controller. I have configured the 3TB disk with a GPT partitiion, but Windows "Disk Management" reports it only has a capacity of 746GB. If it's relevant (I don't think it is), the existing boot disk has been supplied with MBR partitions, so I think the BIOS has to stay in "BIOS" mode.

My current suspicion is that the on-board Intel disk controller cannot recognise disks > 2.2TB, possibly due to its driver software.

I was hoping that a brand-new server running the latest 64-bit OS would support 3TB data disks out-of-the-box, please could someone advise what I need to do?

9.3K Posts

February 24th, 2011 10:00

This may be why Dell doesn't offer 3TB drives on this server (yet). It may require a firmware/bios update to support disks over 2TB.

As an example, the PERC H700's latest bios update lists that it adds support for disks over 2TB.

No Events found!