Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 9th, 2016 01:00

Poweredge T310 / PERC S300: Rebuild Failed - options?

Hi,

I hope that you can help me. We had an IT company looking after one of our branch offices, and I neglected their logs. They failed to spot a failed HDD (Disk0), which has since been replaced. Unfortunately at the rebuild, another disk (2) went into Degraded state, and has now not rebuilt. The server is still running, and the data appears accessible. A few backups failed but seemed to sort-of-complete after a chkdsk /r run on one of the partitions. If I can, I'd still prefer to rebuild the Raid5.
I have now obtained an additional drive to replace Disk2, which had gone in as a hotspare for the time being.

The rebuild usually gets stuck at 48%. This is logged:

There is an unrecoverable medium error detected on virtual disk:  Virtual Disk 1 (PERC S300) Controller 0 (PERC S300)

Disk medium error detected:  Physical Disk 0:0:2 Controller 0, Connector 0

FW/Drivers are:

Firmware Version 2.0.0-0166+00193000
Driver Version 2.0.0-0162
Storport Driver Version 6.1.7601.22589

I now have 4 SAS HDDs, where 0 shows Ready, 1 and 3 Online, and 2 Degraded with Failure Predicted Yes.

Is there anything I can do to help the system rebuild? In the meantime, I'll obviously try to verify the backup in another machine, but if I could rebuild that'd be awesome.

Thank you so much for any suggestion that points me into the right direction.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

December 10th, 2016 06:00

The 720i is an LSI controller, so there is a chance it will recognize the config, but it is a different chipset, so it is unlikely it will work even if it does recognize it. I'd call some recovery professionals if the data is critical and you don't have a backup. If not critical, you could try something like runtime.org's RAID Reconstructor. Realize though that you will probably ruin the data trying to do it yourself, so don't do it if it is critical that you recover it, and use bit-level copies of the drives instead of the originals.

• 

6.2K Posts

December 9th, 2016 10:00

Hello

Is there anything I can do to help the system rebuild?

No, you cannot force a rebuild. If the data to complete the rebuild is not available then the rebuild will not complete.

It is likely that you have a punctured array. Unfortunately, the S300 does not have logging capabilities, so you cannot verify if the array is punctured. Verification is not necessary in this case since you are going to need to delete and recreate the array anyway.

Whatever backup you just performed is likely to contain corrupt/missing data. I would suggest that you retain the previous backup as well.

Thanks

December 10th, 2016 06:00

Hi Daniel

thank you for taking the time to reply. It's not the answer I hoped for, but it is essentially confirming what I thought. Unfortunately I don't have any other dell hardware - I don't think I can plug the drives into a Lenovo RD550 with a 720i controller, can I?

I reckon the answer will be no, so I'll now go and try to recreate the system.

Thanks again!

December 15th, 2016 04:00

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. I've now rebuild the data from backups and recreated the array on new disks.

No Events found!