Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 5th, 2013 09:00

Problem with RAID array after replacing faulty RAID controller - Volume is currently in state INACTIVE/DEGRADED

We have a Dell PowerEdge 840 that had the RAID controller go out yesterday - the system came up with an "ERROR! Adapter Malfunctioning" message.

We replaced the controller with one we had shipped overnight. System was powered off, we made sure the installed was grounded, etc. etc. Upon powering up the system, the following message came up on the display:

===============================

Integrated RAID exception detected:

Volume (00:130) is currently in state INACTIVE/DEGRADED

Enter the SAS Configuration Utility to investigate!

HBA   ID   LUN   VENDOR   PRODUCT    REVISION    CAPACITY

0                           LSILogic    SAS1067-IR  0.10.49.00   NV 25:0D

Dell Inc. MPT boot ROM, no supported devices found!

No boot device available.

===============================

What do I need to do to rebuild the array and see the data? The server apparently crashed shortly after the office closed last Friday but before the backups ran, so we don't have any backed up data from Friday.  

Thanks

• 

8.8K Posts

February 5th, 2013 09:00

Baskervi,

Boot to the controller BIOS  (CTRL-C)

Select the controller

This will bring you to the adapter properties window.

Use the arrow keys to highlight and select RAID Properties, press enter.

This takes you to the Select New Array Type window, there is now an option of view existing array. By using the arrow keys, select View Existing Array,

Select the Inactive Array .Select Manage Array.

The only choices that are available is to activate the array or delete the array. In order to get this controller to accept the configuration of the disk, select Activate array by using the arrow keys to highlight it, then press Enter.

Confirm Activation.

Return to main menu and select SAS Topology and verify both Arrays are active.

Let me know how it goes.

• 

8.8K Posts

February 5th, 2013 11:00

Have them access the BIOS (F2) and verify that the Raid is enabled under Integrated Devices. If not then enable it and the prompt should be present.

21 Posts

February 5th, 2013 11:00

I unfortunately am a few states away from where the server is located. The lady at the console states there is no prompt for ctrl-c, so she was hitting it throughout the boot process but couldn't access the RAID properties. Do you know when it pops up for the PowerEdge 840.

• 

8.8K Posts

February 5th, 2013 13:00

Anytime. glad to help.

21 Posts

February 5th, 2013 13:00

Chris H, YOU ROCK!!! The server is back up and running. Thank you so much!

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

April 6th, 2015 22:00

Which controller do you have? Not all controllers use CTRL-C.

1 Message

April 6th, 2015 22:00

Even i click (CTRL-C) , it's not booting to controller BIOS in my dell R210.

How should i do?

1 Message

November 30th, 2017 14:00

This is working for me as the array is now syncing. I have already put 2 new drives in the 0 and 1 slot, and reinstalled Windows, because the older 2 drives have data on them I don't want to lose. The old drives are resyncing, but I get a black screen when I get to the login screen, and the yellow light is flashing on the front panel, with periodic HD access, about one every one or two seconds. Is it possible it booted into the OLD OS volume? If so, is it safe to reboot and select the boot volume in the bios boot loader? Also, how long does it take to sync 2 600gig SAS drives?

No Events found!