Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 10th, 2016 01:00

Problem with Western Digital WD2004FBYZ with VMware vsphere 5.5

Dear all,

I have a Dell r410 server, initially installed with vmware vsphere 5.5 with drive 0 and drive 1 with Raid 1, later, i installed another drive 2 and drive 3 with newly purchased WD2004FBYZ 2T harddisk and formed another Raid 1, it seems everythings are ok and alright, however, today i found that the 2T raid 1 is inactive, so, i went to check the dell idrac, and i found the there are

fault detected on drive 3 and fault detected on drive 2,

and the datastore become unavailable, i need to enter to th per6/i storage controller to remove the cache, so that i can boot up the vmware again, howvever, it seems that the system can't found the two 2TB disk again. i can only found a firmware update for this WD2004FBYZ for poweredge Gen 13 series, but i can't find any update for R410 server. please help!!!

regards

crassus

• 

8.5K Posts

June 10th, 2016 10:00

Are the new drives Dell drives? If both of the drives are offline, you can reboot to ctrl+R for the PERC and try forcing one of the drives online from the PD mgmt menu and see if that brings it back. 

6 Posts

June 12th, 2016 05:00

Hello Josh,

Ok, let me try first, by the way, is there any firmware fix for this western digital models, since i noticed that for GeN13 server, there are fix for the same problem, but i can't find firmware fix for R410, please help. as i forget to tell, i setup the new 2TB raid and running without problem for a month, and it suddenly show this problem. i 'm afraid it will happen again if no firmware fix available.

regards

chris

18 Posts

June 13th, 2016 00:00

Hi :)

I'm sorry to hear about the situation. Have you tested the health of those two drives? Did they come together in the same package? Maybe they were damaged during transportation. I'd run WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic's quick and extended tests and see if both drives pass them.

I'd also check the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status of both drives and see if there's any additional info that may point to a drive failure.

If you need more info on these drives feel free to ask or to contact our live support

Captain_WD.

6 Posts

June 13th, 2016 01:00

thanks your prompt reply josh,

as both of the 2TB hard drives were purchased two months ago (brand new), and at first, they run as normal without any problems, just found that the raid was failure on 5/June. I don't think they have problems, anyway, i will check them as your suggestions, however, as I mentioned above, R230,R430, they have firmware fix for my hard drives model, Western digital D3N3, (vender part number: WD2004FBYZ). but R410 do not have this update, thats why i want to raise up this issue, since we still have many R410 servers in our environment, please help. thanks

• 

8.5K Posts

June 13th, 2016 10:00

You can try applying the firmware update from the other models and see if it helps. 

6 Posts

July 11th, 2016 10:00

Hello Josh,

I checked very carefully, and I found that even the gen 13 model, such as R430, there are only windows and Linux version Western Digital WD2004FBYZ firmware available, the date is 8/June/2016, for vmware, i can't find the model in the update list and the latest one is Mar/2016, i would like to know when will the updated version for vmware will be release, since this issue is a critical problem, please help !

regards

chris

No Events found!