Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Z

2 Posts

July 2nd, 2020 14:00

Purchased R610 w/ no RAID controller, Easiest Setup for AE Render Farm

Hi Everyone,

I'm building a home After Effects render farm and I couldn't resist 12 cores and 96GB ram for $170

So, I've got an R610 now but no RAID controller. I've read of folks installing Win7/10 on these and all drivers being supported. I was planning on just a single OS drive since it will be networked to the creation machine where all storage drives lives.

Can I run and single SAS drive in RAID0 from an PERC 6i controller? Would it throw errors without an additional drive? Or would I have better luck getting an H200/310, flashing it to IT mode, and running non-raid? I'd rather avoid the additional complication/cost if possible, but whatever will be easiest in the long run...

Thanks so much!

Zane

• 

3.4K Posts

July 2nd, 2020 18:00

Hi,

Based on documentation of PERC6i, seems to be that it can handle RAID0 1 drive configuration. Though, I don't have a system with PERC6i to test it for you. 

Windows 7 or 10 ain't validated OS on the server, though, like you said there are users manage to install it. But it's going to take time to get it to work, as drivers and firmware aren't built for Windows 7 or 10. 

Do let me know if you have other questions. 

2 Posts

July 2nd, 2020 21:00

Thanks so much for that. I was able to confirm elsewhere as well that the perc 6i allows 1 drive raid0! We'll see about win7/10! It's an experiment after all!

Much appreciated!

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

July 2nd, 2020 22:00

The PERC 6i is a real HW Raidcontroller from that time with Cache and Battery.  The H200 was a much simpler one without Cache/Battery.

If you would like to use only one disk you always create a RAID0.

Regards,
Joerg

No Events found!