Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

23 Posts

May 18th, 2020 15:00

R^20 or R720 Backplane upgrade to 12GB/s SAS support

Dear All , 

I would like to know if there is an upgrade backplane for R620 for 12GB /s support ? 

via Dell , or a retrofit of some kind ? 

thank you 

• 

3.1K Posts

May 18th, 2020 20:00

Hi,

The backplane has no speed, just communication ports between drives and RAID controller. If the server is running on software RAID, then it only support 6Gb/s. 

23 Posts

May 19th, 2020 01:00

Dear @DELL-Joey C 

are you sure?? , because I am pretty sure the connector for 12GB/s has more contacts , ( more cables ) are needed to achieve 12GB/s vs 6GB/s ... is not the same as just swap the HBA , RAID .. 

anyway I will try it though to get a 12GB/s Raid card and a proper cable from :
sff-8613 to sff-8087

thanks 

• 

3.1K Posts

May 19th, 2020 02:00

Hi,

I did a search for available backplanes for R620, only 1 type of backplane returned result. Though, I too had the same thoughts about the cables so I did ask the senior technical. 

What RAID controller are you planning to use?

23 Posts

May 19th, 2020 05:00

Dear @DELL-Joey C 

I haven't done my research yet although H330P is a potential candidate maybe 

although I haven't made my proper research , 

also I need to look the lanes of CPU and Mobo lanes and what they can even handle it , lastly get proper cables , and also get the amount to buy a 12GB/s sas drive ( they cost an arm and a leg ... ) 
plus I have no idea if it will even manage to perform at 12GB/s if there are other bottlenecks like backplane muplexer , cables , CPU lanes and Speed , caching of the RAID card or the OS , etc etc etc etc 

In general is a very very deep rabbit hole I decided to go down in ..

Now in general since China trading is out of the question this would take about a year to be done ( where this conversation will be obsolete since R630 the support 12GB/s sas natively without going Frankenstein on it ... 

If you get any input from the senior tech please keep me posted , 

Thank you in advance 

• 

3.1K Posts

May 19th, 2020 20:00

Hi,

I think that's the reason that I only found 1 type of backplane, which the connector is similar to 6Gb; cause the server is unable to support series 9 RAID controllers. Series 8 RAID controller only supports 6Gb only. 

RAID controller series: https://dell.to/3cQfYa4

RAID controller supports: https://dell.to/2XjsKro

No Events found!