Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 6th, 2012 03:00

R610 PERC6/i Firmware update problem

I have an R610 with a PERC6/i RAID controller and I can not get the firmware to update from CD/DVD.

I have tried multiple things, but what I am looking for is a simple CD/DVD to boot off to allow me to update the firmware on various systems running various OS.

I have downloaded and installed Dell Repository Manager (server) and the latest SUU ISO image. I have mounted the ISO image and opened the SUU 
repository with the Repository Manager and made a new repository called R610 with just the R610 files in it.
I then copied this directory to a CD (and later a DVD) and booted the server via F10 to the Unified Server Configurator (USC).
In the USC I have selected product update and local repository options, it finds the CD/DVD called R610. in the other location box I put "\R610" and it sees 
the catalog.xml file. Although it gives an error saying it can not authenticate it. I click okay and it opens up a list of the available updates, with all the out of 
date ones ticked.
For now I am just trying the PERC6/i firmware (but I did try others and it made no difference)
I click apply (or next, can't remember which) and then I get an error saying it can not download the repository, or the repository is not valid, 
(depends on version of USC I think, I have tried several servers!).
At this point I am stuck and very confused. 
So for some reason I copied exactly the same directory from the CD/DVD to a USB pen, in a last ditch attempt.
I repeat the process, pointing the updater to the \R610 directory on the USB stick, and it works perfectly.
So my questions are simple, should it work from a CD/DVD? and if it should what have I done wrong?

PLEASE HELP!!

• 

8.8K Posts

November 6th, 2012 06:00

Fugazi9999,

The issue I see in this post and the 1950 one is that you state you boot to the SUU, which isn't boot-able. The BUU is, but is unable to run that update.

Since it seems you have both ISO's burned to disk, the easiest thing will be to boot to the BUU disk, then from the main menu scroll to PLATFORM UPDATE. Before selecting please swap out the BUU disk for the SUU and then select Platform Update.

That will update the entire system with the repository.

9 Posts

November 6th, 2012 06:00

I did not say I booted off the SUU. For the R610 I F10 to the USC and it fails to read off the repository I have created on CD/DVD but works fine if exactly the same files are copied to a USB stick.

And for the 1950 probelm I am booting off a SBUU disk as there is no Utility partition, and trying to access similar repositories I created using Dell Repository Manager, taking the source files from the latest SUU iso image. And it keeps saying the files are in the wrong repository format.

So the same root probelm with the firmware update and two distinct problems trying to do it.

Is a BUU the same as a SBUU? uif it is I have tried that and got the error reported above.

Thanks,

No Events found!