Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

April 1st, 2017 14:00

R610, trying to add a data disk but Windows cannot initialize to make it logical/veiwable

I have a Poweredge R610 running Windows Server 2012 R2 and I want to move some data from an old Windows server install, which is on a separate hard disk. This hard disk is identical to the models already in the machine.

When I put it in and boot up the machine, I get those notifications about foreign RAID configurations and etcetc.  In the first instance, I ignored them and booted into Windows. When I went to the drive manager, it could not see the disk.

I therefore restarted the machine, cleared the Virtual Drive config on the spare disk, made a new VD and set the disk to offline mode**. I then booted into Windows.

**Set to offline to have it not try to include itself in the pre existing VD configuration on the disks already in the system. When it posts, it states all the disks have VDs, with 1 being offline and all VD managed by the BIOS.

This time upon getting into Windows, the disk manager can see the disk but needs to initialize to make it logical/readable. It gives me the option of MBR or GPT. Regardless of which one I select, I get an error about "The system cannot find the file specified."

I appreciate this maybe Windows specific, though imagine it has something to do with raid /VDs and improper configuration. 

Or it could simply be a partition issue on that drive.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

April 1st, 2017 15:00

Disk must be set up in a single-disk RAID 0. The VD must remain online to be accessible. The PERC is capable of managing 64 separate VD's.

If the drive is flagged with a foreign configuration, then it must first be cleared.

What make/model is the disk? Which RAID controller?

21 Posts

April 3rd, 2017 02:00

Hi Flash, I'll try to get back to you by weeks' end. I appreciate the response.

No Events found!