Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 2nd, 2020 19:00

R620 6Gbps SATA

There is a page that shows that some 12g servers support native SATA III 6Gbps speed on drives:

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/19/poweredge-r620/rack_tower_techsheet/information-updatesata-drive-speed-on-the-12thgeneration-of-poweredge-servers

The following tables list the 12th generation of PowerEdge systems with the backplane configurations that support SATA drives at 6 Gbps speed.
[...]
The following tables list the 12th generation of PowerEdge systems with the backplane configurations that do not support SATA drives at 6 Gbps speed.
[...]

I have several questions regarding the information provided on that page.

1. Do SATA speeds depend only on a backplane used or some other factors as well?

2. I have the 4x 2.5 backplane and max speed on the SSD is 3Gbps (which supports 6Gbps); would upgrading to 4x 2.5 with 2x 2.5 PCIe SSD or 10x 2.5 backplane be enough to have 6Gbps SATA (without raid)?

3. What are the part numbers for 10x and 4x+2xPCIeSSD backplanes ?

4. Are there any other options to make R620 with a 4x bay backplane work at 6Gbps SATA speed without upgrading backplane?

• 

2.2K Posts

September 3rd, 2020 02:00

Backplane Cabling

Cabling for 2.5 inch (x4) PERC S110

Item

Description

Cable retention bracket

System board

SW_RAID connector on system board

SAS backplane

Cabling for 2.5 inch (x4) MiniPERC

Item

Description

Cable retention bracket

System board

Integrated storage controller card (miniPERC)

SAS connector on system board

SAS backplane

Cabling for 2.5 inch (x4 SAS and x2 PCIe SSD)

Item

Description

Cable retention bracket

System board

PCIe SSD card

SAS and PCIe SSD backplane

Cabling for 2.5 inch (x8) MiniPERC

Item

Description

Cable retention bracket

System board

SAS backplane

Cabling for 2.5 inch (x8) PERC Adapter

Item

Description

Cable retention bracket

System board

SAS controller card

SAS backplane

Cabling for 2.5 inch (x10) MiniPERC

Item

Description

Cable retention bracket

System board

SAS backplane expander card

Part Number Part Description Sub-Def Component Functional Description
59VFH KIT,CRD,BRDG,BKPLN,XPNDR,R620 Card, Backplane Bridge Expander 10X, SAS, HDD, Kit Backplane, Contains Bare Backplane Part # 4GTDC

NJW0R ASSY,CRD,BKPLN,2SSD,4SAS,R620 Card, Backplane 4X/2X, SAS/PCIe, HDD/SSD, ASSY Backplane, Contains Bare Backplane Part # 4NTYM

4. Unfortunately, no. 

Let us know if it helps.

27 Posts

October 15th, 2020 20:00

Updating this thread just to be available for anyone looking for information on this.

Unfortunately, there are many misinformation in @Dell-ErmanO answers here. I was in hurry and selected some answers as 'Correct' but they are 70% incorrect, except part number lists. We have tried all the possible options and the reality is very different from what official Dell documents say. This post will be a bit emotional because of dramatic amount of things we had to do in order to determine the correct solution.

You don't need to replace the backplane in order to get 6 GBPS sata on 4X and 8X backplanes. You only need to switch cabling from S110 to MiniPERC H310 (or any other).

Please note that the backplanes themselves are identified as '3 Gbps' controllers in OS but regardless of this they can operate on 6 Gbps without issues when connected to Miniperc. Just make sure your OS don't limit the speed artificially (Linux 3.x and above doesn't).

The information regarding SATA speeds in this document https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/poweredge-r620/rack_tower_techsheet/information-updatesata-drive-speed-on-the-12thgeneration-of-poweredge-servers is completely wrong, We hope Dell will take care of it and update it.

So the correct answer to one of my general questions, which was answered incorrectly by Ermano:

4. Are there any other options to make R620 with a 4x bay backplane work at 6Gbps SATA speed without upgrading backplane?

YES. Upgrading to external PERC is enough! The ONLY correct cable for upgrading is TK2VY

• 

2.2K Posts

September 3rd, 2020 02:00

Hello,

1. It depends also which PERC card are you using for example H310;

"Limit SATA speed to 3Gbps (reboot required) Select the option to limit the negotiated speed of
6Gbps SATA disks to 3Gbps. NOTE: The option is
displayed if you have a server with a backplane of 8
slots or less" refer link pg 55 https://dell.to/3lJGzdZ;

2. I would like to share the following information that I think will be useful for you. Please review this.

But I have to say even the front bezel, the control panel,... should be changed depends on your decision. You should carefully about that. 

Storage Options

PowerEdge R620 provides comprehensive storage options, including different drive types; internal and external storage controllers; different chassis and backplanes for different number of drive capacities. R620 has two chassis to support up to 4 different drive-bay options.

1. 4 x 2.5" drive option (base configuration, hot-plug tray)
  2. 8x 2.5" drive option (volume configuration, hot-plug tray)
  3. 4x 2.5" + 2x 2.5" PCIe SSD drive option (PCIe SSD configuration, hot-plug tray)
  4. 10x 2.5" drive option (maximum drive support in 1U, hot-plug tray)

The R620 supports all current types of 2.5" drive.

• 2.5" SATA (7.2K)
  • 2.5" NL-SAS (7.2K)
  • 2.5" SAS (10K)
  • 2.5" SAS (15K)
  • 2.5" SATA SSD
  • 2.5" SAS SSD
  • 2.5" PCIe SSD

Storage Controllers

12G servers support the new PERC 8 family controller cards in different form factors, mini-type and adapter-type. R620 will default with the mini-type PERCs; however, if customer is going to use a card with length between half and ¾ lengths, please make sure the adapter-type PERC is used.

Supported Storage Controllers

Model

Capability

Form Factor

Segmentation

Customer Use Model

PERC S110 Chipset based S/W RAID)

R0,1,5,10 Hot-swap SATA HDD; 4 drive max; no expansion; Windows only

N/A, motherboard embedded SATA

Entry

Cost / Power Sensitive / Boot / Basic Availability

PERC H310

R0, 1, 10, 5, 50 Hot-swap; expansion; tape; Pass thru

Adapter Mini

Value

General Purpose - ROBO / Data Center:

• Collaboration, IT Infrastructure, Virtualization,Database

PERC H710

R0, 1, 10, 5, 50, 6, 60 With 512MB cache; Advanced feature set Security SED/EKMS & SSD as cache

Adapter Mini

Performance

HA Local Storage - ROBO / Data Center:

• Collaboration, Database, IT Infrastructure, Virtualization

PERC H710P

PERC H810

R0, 1, 10, 5, 50, 6, 60 With 1GB NV cache; Premium performance & feature set; Security SED/EKMS & SSD as cache

Adapter Mini (H810 is adapter type only)

Premium Performance

HA/Highest Performance - Local Storage/SSD Optimized:

• Business Processing/OLTP Database, IT Infrastructure, Virtualization

R620 Backplane and Controller Options

Backplane Options

4x 2.5"

8x 2.5"

10x 2.5" **

4x 2.5" + 2x PCIe SSD ***

Support Drive Types

SATA HDD/SSD SAS HDD/SSD

SATA HDD/SSD SAS HDD/SSD

SATA HDD/SSD SAS HDD/SSD

SAS/SATA + PCIe SSD

Supported Controllers

m: mini type

a: adapter type

S110

H310 (m,a)*

H310 (m,a)*

H310 (m)

H310 (m) + PCIe SSD Interface Card

H710 (m,a)*

H710 (m,a)*

H710 (m)

H710 (m) + PCIe SSD Interface Card

H710P (m,a)*

H710P (m,a)*

H710P (m)

H710P (m) + PCIe SSD Interface Card

* For R620, adapter type PERC is required when configuring with a 3/4 length PCIe card

** R620 with 10-drive chassis support only the mini type PERC

*** R620 with PCIe SSD configurations support only the mini type PERC

27 Posts

September 3rd, 2020 06:00

Thank you so much!

Currently my server has S110 only and has SAS A cable with a part number 0PD91Y, I suppose it won't be suitable if I install H310 so it will need a different SAS cable. 

It seems the 4X/2X (NJW0R) backplane won't be useful since I have the right-side slots covered, and that one has SATA slots on its right, therefore, I am planning to get the 10X (59VFH) backplane. Can you tell me the correct SAS cable part number for connecting the 10X (59VFH) backplane with H310 ?

Also, is it possible to change the front cover to 10X slots one? Is there a part number?

• 

2.2K Posts

September 4th, 2020 00:00

Hello,

I really understand you. Actually, that's a little tricky because officially The 4X/2X drive backplane cannot be upgraded to the 10X drive backplane. This is a factory-installed option only, available when ordering the server. because chassis forms, front bezel assembly, control panel, drive bay, cables, etc... are changing. Therefore I don't want to mislead. Frankly, I'm not sure what all the parts you need to replace might be. Although there are parts that come to my mind, overlooking something that will prevent the system from working. So I can't recommend trying this kind of change. But it would be very useful if anyone who has already performed a similar upgrade before and shares their experiences. I could not find a direct H310 cable for 10X BP. But here are the cables I can find for the H310 and for the 10X.

Part Number Part Description Def Component Functional Description
CABLES AND CORDS
0HHYJ ASSY,CBL,MINI PERC,2S+4HD,R620 Cable, Connector and Cord H310,H710(p) mini card to 4HDD bkpln for 4HDD+2PCIE SSD config (from Mini PERC to BP)
CY7N1 ASSY,CBL,PERC8,4HD,R620 Cable, Connector and Cord H310,H710 Adapter, PCIe form factor to 4 HDD bkpln (from PERC 8i card to BP)
R1RNV ASSY,CBL,PERC8,BKPLN,8HD,R620 Cable, Connector and Cord H310,H710 Adapter, PCIe form factor to 8 HDD bkpln (from PERC 8i card to BP)
TK2VY ASSY,CBL,MINI PERC,Y TYP,R620 Cable, Connector and Cord H310,H710(p) mini to 8 HDD bkpln. (from Mini PERC to BP)
WVF6J ASSY,CBL,MINI PERC,4HD,R620 Cable, Connector and Cord H310,H710(p) mini controller to 4 HDD bkpln. (from Mini PERC to BP)
CKH31 ASSY,CBL,MB,CNTL,USB,10HD,R620 Cable, Connector and Cord 10 HDD cable (from MB to control panel, Purged and replaced by TJT7F. TJT7F includes CNTL cable 1YN...
3V2K5 ASSY,CBL,PWR,BKPLN,10HD,1,R620 Cable, Connector and Cord 10 HDD BP power cable (from M/B to BP)

27 Posts

September 10th, 2020 05:00

It seems like the cable for the X4 MiniPERC configuration (shown on the right) is missing in your last post:

68747470733a2f2f64656c6c2e746f2f3331564d473762.png

The only similar is WVF6J, but its length is 35cm thus it doesn't match the image, because the cable shown on the image has a length of ~58cm. I can say it because I own the PD91Y cable which is a cable for the configuration shown on the left.

Please could you kindly check if you have the part number for this cable?

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

September 11th, 2020 01:00

Hi,

My collegue erman already provide your the part number exhaustive list and cannot unfortunately do more. Because this is not on the factory configuration, this is hard/impossible to us to find a single reference like this.

Best regards,

27 Posts

September 11th, 2020 05:00

My collegue erman already provide your the part number exhaustive list and cannot unfortunately do more. Because this is not on the factory configuration, this is hard/impossible to us to find a single reference like this.

It seems you didn't check my post carefully and the previous posts. This cable is on the factory configuration, because the image was taken from the official manual, so that part number must exist, but it's not in the provided list. If that cable doesn't exist, then the manual is misleading and Dell should release the errata with corrected mistakes.

Sorry, but the exhaustive list does not contain the part number to resolve the issue, I am still unable to get 6 GBPS SATA on R620 without that part number described in the Dell's official manual.

• 

3.3K Posts

September 14th, 2020 08:00

Hello timsxv,

This would be the part number for the PERC mini  to backplane cable:
YRTCY - ASSY,CBL,MINI PERC,XPNDR,R620

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with.

No Events found!