Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2013 07:00

R710: 8 New HDDs - Amber Lights

All eight HDDs show disk failures. The server is a Dell Poweredge R710, all eight HDDs are new Hitachi Travelstar 2.5" SATA 1TB drives in a RAID 6 array. The backplane and other connections are snug, has the latest BIOS and PERC i/6 RAID firmware. OpenManage shows the RAID array and drives are online and healthy, no errors except what is in the hardware event log. I can clear it up but it goes back to amber on the next reboot. I even broke the array and rebuilt it.

I tried another pair of fresh Hitachi 1TB's in it and got the same amber lights. I put in a couple of Dell 1TB's and it was fine ):

Any suggestions? TIA guys.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 10th, 2013 09:00

Problem:  You are using cheap/consumer/laptop grade drives.  They are unsuitable for use on enterprise RAID controllers and are susceptible to a number of issues - incorrect status (amber lights indicating failure), over-activity of log entries involving no or incorrect responses to controller queries, random offlining, inability to configure, not showing up at all, etc.  Enterprise-class disks that are not 'certified' for use on a particular controller can have issues too, but not usually to the extent that consumer drives will.  You could take your chances that it will continue to work, but this probably won't be the only issue you will face during the life of the drives.

No Events found!