Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

4 Posts

October 15th, 2019 05:00

R730 strange disk noise

Hi,

I recently upgraded my R730 with six new HGST Ultrastar C10K1800 HUC101830CSS200 300GB drives. BIOS detects them just fine and I'm able to build any typ of raid array to my choosing, and the disk performs as expected. However, I have two issues:

1. Both LED indicators are displaying a constant green light. Is this because they are not Dell HDD's and therefor for some strange reason can't detect activity?

2. Every two minutes or so all six drives read/seek extensively with a loud noise. It last about 3-4 seconds each time. This is regardless of raid/non-raid, one or all disk installed. It starts generally about ten minutes in after server is switched on.

The two Dell SAS HDD supplied with the server work normally; no issues with LED indicators nor strange read/seek noises.

I can live with no LED indication, but the read/seek patterns is really worrying me. Any suggestions to what this may be?

Regards

Andreas

• 

8.5K Posts

October 15th, 2019 08:00

Ajedesign,

The drives do look to be compatible with the R730, but I would suggest that you update the server on BIOS, iDrac, Raid controller, as well as the drives themselves (I found this update for the drives)

Would you clarify the current revisions that those devices are currently at?

Let me know what you see.

4 Posts

October 15th, 2019 13:00

Thanks for a quick reply. Much appreciated! 
I tried your link, but unfortunately I can't use the program: "This Update Package is not compatible with your system configuration."

My current revision is: DiskHGST____HUC101830CSS200_ADB0

I have browsed around looking for other firmware links but it appears WD has completely neglected the C10K1800 for some reason.

I will now review any other updates, but when I installed the server a couple of months ago I believe I did that, but I'll double check.

***edit***

Just noticed under supported OS, Windows Server 2019 is not listed. Can this be the issue why I can't update the firmware?

***edit_2***

Updated everything accordingly. No changes to the disk behavior. Did not manage to update any firmware on the drives. 

Regards

Andreas

4 Posts

October 16th, 2019 05:00

Absolutely! Will try this in about 4h when I get back to the office 

Thank you for the tip!

• 

8.5K Posts

October 16th, 2019 05:00

Ajedesign,

Do me a favor and try the drive update via the Platform Specific Bootable ISO, which you will do outside the OS.  

4 Posts

October 16th, 2019 14:00

Hello again,

so the boot fails completely. I've tried both BIOS and UEFI, and the results are similar. Don't really know where to go from here? Any suggestions, please?

11.jpg

No Events found!