Start a Conversation

Unsolved

TM

1 Rookie

• 

68 Posts

April 10th, 2021 06:00

RAID first time setup

Hi there, I have a Poweredge T420 with a PERC H710 RIAD controller that i'm looking to setup for the first time. I recently got a good deal on the setup and decided to combine all 3 of my file "servers" into one. This one has the 8 3.5in bays in it. After what i had read, I'm thinking RAID 10 is the way to go, but i wanted to bounce the idea off here before i go about it.

The way I have the tower installed with drives is as follows: 2x2TB and 2x1TB SATA on top, and the same 2x2TB and 2x1TB on the bottom. My thinking is that the controller would do RAID 0 and combine the first 4 drives together to look like 1 drive, and then do RAID 1 and duplicate/backup that data to the bottom set. Is that correct? With this in mind, is a 4 PD Span what i want in the settings? Any other settings i should be aware of when doing 8 drives total like this?

So far i tried to configure it with 6xSATA and 2xSAS but couldn't add them to the list in VD MGMT for some reason, so i'm swapping out the SAS drives with SATA drives so they are all have the same interface wise. I am using the ctrl-R option to configure these rather than through the system BIOS integrated devices section. If that way is easier, i can do it that way too.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out!

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

April 10th, 2021 09:00

Ok what is the make/model of your drives. Most likely they are incompatible. 

You can have both SAS and SATA on the same backplane, but you CANNOT combine them in the same virtual disk.

You can't configure them in integrated devices in the BIOS ... they are connected to the PERC, you need to use that (CTRL-R).

1 Rookie

• 

68 Posts

April 10th, 2021 09:00

Thanks for your reply, i think i got it working now. I swapped the SAS with SATA and later found out that i cannot create one large VD with multiple disk sizes. So i ended up doing two VDs, one with the 2TB set and and another with the 1TB set. Now it's all working. So i think i'm all good now!

No Events found!